Canine Behaviour

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion relating to advanced courses on canine behaviour modification

2 posters

Reading lists

olwen
    olwen

Reading lists Empty Reading lists

Post  olwen Tue May 11, 2010 8:02 pm

I have loads of books, including Scott and Fuller, Coppinger and Serpell.

What did you find the most helpful for the genetics and evolution module?
    Carole.T
    Carole.T

Reading lists Empty Re: Reading lists

Post  Carole.T Wed May 12, 2010 8:04 pm

I used Coppinger as well. I also have the following references listed;

Roy Robinson – Genetics for Dog Breeders (2nd ed.) 1990. Pergamon Press. (Borrowed from the Library)

Hancock, David. Dogs Monthly magazine
    I always found his articles interesting and informative and biased against how dogs have evolved as a result of modern day selective breeding practices. I don't know if he has written any books on the subject though.

Genetics and breeding took me completely out of my comfort zone and I scraped by on a B+ (again)!!

Regards

Carole
    olwen
    olwen

Post  olwen Thu May 13, 2010 9:28 am

I'm not that up on dog genetics and breed either. Horses on the other hand...

May use the family tree diagrams where I can for extra points santa + rendeer = alien

My library seems to think that if it doesn't have CM as the author then it's not about dogs! scratch
    Carole.T
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T Thu May 13, 2010 7:09 pm

Hi Olwen,

I don't know whether this may be of any use, to 'enhance' where breeding is going in the future (in the eyes of the Kennel Club that is) but I just received the May edition of their magazine 'Kennel Gazette' today. There is an article describing their aims to provide a breeding database to help dog breeders create healthy 'fit for function' dogs. The article is called 'Breeding for Health' (I don't know if it can be accessed via their website at all).

It may be an interesting 'add on' to show that you have researched where breeding and genetics may be heading under this scheme? They state (in the light of an increasing number of DNA tests available for single gene disorders);

"The Kennel Club Genetics Centre at the Animal Health Trust aims to provide expert help needed (for breeders) to address the complexity in breeding decisions......quantative geneticists are working on the design of breeding strategies to improve the health of dogs."

Topics in the article cover such issues as;
    Estimated Breeding values (a way of assessing underlying genetic risk for complex diseases) / Managing genetic diversity for long term health / New tools for dog breeders / developing a new Information Technology database to aid future dog breeders and breeding programmes.

Whether this would be a useful article or not I do not know, but it may be worth a read if you can get hold of it? It does mention their web site;
    "www.the-kennel- club.org.uk/services/public/health/search/Default.aspx"
    which is a breed 'Health Test Result Finder. I think that I accessed this part of their site when I was doing Module 12, to get information on health issues relating to the particular breeds given in the Case Studies.

All the best, glad I don't have to do it again!!

Regards

Carole

P.S.
    Re: CM. We get monthly Lists in the Library of the most popular books in a particualr month (East Dorset area). A couple of months ago CM came in at No.8 in the non-fiction. Then he disappeared. No doubt to return as his tour gets underway. We are featuring a new Graeme Simms dog training book at present (a 'positive' trainer). In another book I read of his, he does not believe in treats. Haven't read this one yet though. My dog would think that he was getting a very raw deal I reckon if I trained without treats!!

(basically we place books of interest and new books on a shelf customers see as they come in the door - So I can slip in any new & suitable dog training books!) study
    olwen
    olwen

Post  olwen Fri May 14, 2010 9:06 am

Carole.T wrote:Hi Olwen,

P.S.
    Re: CM. We get monthly Lists in the Library of the most popular books in a particualr month (East Dorset area). A couple of months ago CM came in at No.8 in the non-fiction. Then he disappeared. No doubt to return as his tour gets underway. We are featuring a new Graeme Simms dog training book at present (a 'positive' trainer). In another book I read of his, he does not believe in treats. Haven't read this one yet though. My dog would think that he was getting a very raw deal I reckon if I trained without treats!!

(basically we place books of interest and new books on a shelf customers see as they come in the door - So I can slip in any new & suitable dog training books!) study

Thanks for the magazine info. I'll look in WHSmith as they get the weekly dog papers and Dogs Today often has info in following the TV programme.

Loving you being able to get dog training books into the new book shelf. Graeme Simms called himself "dog whisperer long before CM and he also registered the name which is why Jan Funnell had to be Dog listerner. He calls himself a positive trainer but he still errs on the side of Babara Woodhouse.
    Carole.T
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T Fri May 14, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi Olwen,

I think that you have to buy, or subscribe to Kennel Gazette direct from the Kennel Club (I have a subscription), as it is their 'in house' magazine, so it may be worth looking at their website to see if you can access the article or any information they provide on the future of breeding/genetics.

Regards,

Carole

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:14 pm