Canine Behaviour

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion relating to advanced courses on canine behaviour modification

4 posters

Methods and planning

olwen
    olwen

Methods and planning Empty Methods and planning

Post  olwen Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:10 pm

Not sure if this is the place for this post but as it's module one and I'm just starting out...

How are you planning to work?

I've read through all the info and the first module, I highlighted all the questions; so I don't miss any!

My first thought was to work backwards and start with the revision questions so that I am sure I understand the terms and am able to use them. Then when I have finished re-reading How dogs learn, do the project.

I'll be making notes as I go to answer the other questions.

I can see a whole new section on my PC being dedicated to this. I already have loads of PDFs in random places.
    Admin
    Admin

Methods and planning Empty Preparing

Post  Admin Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:21 pm

Hi Olwen, sorry you haven't had any response to this question. I haven't got my Compass course yet so can't help you there as I'm not sure what the format is.

If you get some revision questions though I would think that it would be a great starting point to see what you know and what areas you need to read up on to give ful answers. As it is FD level I think the information you will have to give will need to be very detailed with lots of referencing and cross referencing.

The grooming course I am doing has lots of fun tests and I keep doing those to assess where I am at and whether or not I am ready to take the final test which counts towards the end result. That works well and it motivates me as each time I do the fun tests I can see that I have learnt something!
    lance
    Admin

Methods and planning Empty Re: Methods and planning

Post  lance Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:43 pm

Hi Olwen, I'm doing the Higher Certficate Cynolgy (compass)but from what you say it seems the Adv.Dip.CBM course has the same format. I think your method is right. What I have done with the three modules so far completed (and for which the tutor gave A+)is this. First read straight through the Module material and, as you said, highlight the questions. Then answer the Revision questions:note these are short answers, no references, because they are answered simply by finding the answers in the module text.What I then tend to do is to write each question (i.e. the main questions and project) on a separate sheet and put these in a file (ring binder)then I jot down for each question my first thoughts for each and references from books etc just the title and page number, having looked in the index of some. These can be added to as I answer other questions. Then I select a question that seems easy, or I know a lot about it and I look up references for this and make notes and quotes. When I think I have enough I then write out my answer giving the references and quotes. I then go on to another question, and so on and that of course includes the project. I do all this handwritten so that I can insert. delete, change etc. Then when I have handwritten the answer I type this on the word processor.Then continue through all the questions. I don't know if Compass gave you a marking guide, the guide I got says that you get higher marks e.g Merit B+ A- for evidence of additional research and examples; and 85% A A+ for extensive explanation and research showing 'clear and comprehensive understanding' using diagrams and tables supporting argumenrs where appropriate. So you are encouraged to think and research widely beyond the strict confines of the question. It is O.K. to cite your own practical experience and you can disagree with what the tutor thinks or you presumes s/he thinks provided you can argue your case. One tip you may find useful: I note on an Index Card Author,tile, date , publisher of each book or article or web site used as reference or quote. This makes it easier when I have to list references at the end. Hope this may help. If it doesn't just ignore it. Good luck! Derek
    Carole.T
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi Olwen,

I did pretty much the same as Derek. I started with the revision questions also, as it helped me find my way round the Module text and helped me familiarise myself with the topics before researching further.

I didn't reach the dizzy heights as Derek on my first Compass Module grade though! I got a B+, and I admit that I let myself down on the referencing - Yes they are VERY hot on this. Plus I needed to expand some answers more. Still it was a beginning and it did get better from there-on! David did send me examples of answers on some subjects that needed expanding and references, which I thought a nice thing to do, to help me on the right path.

Like Derek, I am a writer first and go through a few trees before the final draft gets typed on to the PC. I saved all my work on a removable memory stick/device (whatever you call them!). I'm was not as organised to put my references on record cards - nice tip Derek, may well use for the next Course, thanks.
    olwen
    olwen

Post  olwen Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:16 am

Brilliant tips

Thanks a lot. And it's very useful to know that there is no referencing needed for the revision questions.

Quite like the card index idea. I also write down stuff. As I have loads of reference books I am thinking of going through the questions one at a time and doing them that way, dipping into the books for the answers. Also I have a small forest of notes from seminars.

Although you do the referencing in the text when it comes to the list of references do you do it for each question or is it for each module?

Example answers sound wonderful. It's great that you are given so much help from the college.
    lance
    Admin

Post  lance Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:19 am

About referencing:In my course HCC there are instructions about sources and referencing at the beginning of the Module text.I don't know if you have similar for Adv Dip CBM ? In case you don't here is what it says.
    Refer to published work (e.g. books)after the relevant text in your answer by giving the author's name and date of publilcation in brackets e.g.(Attenborough 1979)
    If the referenced text is a quote, in the author's own words, do the same, but put the text in quotation marks.
    At the end of your work i.e. end of the module,not end of each answer,list all the books,articles etc referred to in the text of your work. Give author's name; date of publication; the title; where and by whom published in that order
    e.g. Attenborough D,(1979),Life on Earth, [title should be underlined but I can't do it here] London, Collins.
    The several refences should be placed in alphabetical order of the author,s surname.
    I list web site references together in a list after the list of book references as e.g. www.ah.novartis.com and list them alphabetically by the name (i.e. what follows www.)
    Compass say that'Referncing is very important and a subject that caused work to be returned unmarked for re-submission.
    Admin
    Admin

Methods and planning Empty Getting Started

Post  Admin Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:12 pm

What brilliant tips, I shall certainly be taking note of ideas here. I always read things then forget where I read it. I do go through the index of books to see if there is anything relevant but to actual keep a note of it on a reference card is a great idea as you can then note it under each topic it applies to.

Thank you!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:27 pm