Canine Behaviour

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion relating to advanced courses on canine behaviour modification

4 posters

Hello Currently studying with Compass

JoDog

Hello Currently studying with Compass  Empty Hello Currently studying with Compass

Post  JoDog Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:38 pm

Hello!
    I'm Jo and at present am studying the Canine Behaviour and Psychology diploma with Compass and am eventually hoping to do the Advanced Diploma in Canine Behaviour Management with them. I was delighted when I stumbled upon this forum to see other peoples feedback and thoughts on the various courses. I live in Ireland with my family of 5 rescue dogs and 7 cats that just kinda moved in over the years. Smile Hoping to eventually work in the Behaviour Area and thought Compass was a good start.
    lance
    Admin

Hello Currently studying with Compass  Empty Welcome currently studying with Compass

Post  lance Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:01 am

Hi Jo and welcome. I,too,have been studying the same course with Compass. It was titled Higher Certificate in Cynology. Your course is an updated, revised version of this. Lots of people have found the Compass courses very good and interesting and they are highly rated among the professionals. Several members of this Forum have been, or are, studying with Compass. Where are you in Ireland? I have a number of contacts in Ireland and I am involved with a Border Collie Rescue
    here, Wiccaweys, that has links with Ireland and receives some dogs from Ireland that need rehoming.I look forward to hearing more from you and discussing the Compass courses. Lance.

Last edited by lance on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    JoDog

Hello Currently studying with Compass  Empty Re: Hello Currently studying with Compass

Post  JoDog Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:15 pm

Hi Lance,

Nice to touch base with someone doing the same course. I'm nearly finished Module 4 on the Behaviour and Psychology of the Adult Dog. Its a really interesting course but I find can be tough going and I know I'll probably spend a couple weeks reviewing what I've written. Sometimes I find the questions can have double meaning and I wonder if I've grasped the correct thread of it. All the referancing and cross referancing can cause me to become a bit cross eyed and I get myself in a muddle sometimes trying retrace what I've found in the growing number of books, websites I've dived into. scratch

I'm in Co.Limerick and find behavioral study is still very new here and you can't find any where to train or do courses so I'm hoping doing these Compass courses will give me a good foundation in understanding.

I must check out Wiccaweys, I'm very interested to see the work they do- unfortunatly as you know the animal welfare here is dismal but I live in hope it will improve.

Look forward to the discussions on here, as I said sometimes it can be a bit tough trying to work through the course on your own and nice to people to bounce ideas off. Jo
    lance
    Admin

Hello Currently studying with Compass  Empty Hello. Currently studying with Compass

Post  lance Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:56 am

Hi, On looking at Compass prospectus/site I find that I'm not doing exactly the same course as you, but I have seen the details of your course and mine covers the same ground.You should have a personal tutor from Compass and will be able to ask her/him to clarify what any question really means as well as asking us at this forum about anything involved in your studies.

Wiccaweys: You can find out about and contact Wiccaweys on
    www.wiccaweys.co.uk

Limerick: The animal(including dogs) rescue place connected with Wiccaweys is in Limerick.
    You will find them at: http://www.limerickanimalwelfare.ie/
    You could visit them and get some practical experience with them.

I shall try to get Admin to set up another sub section for,
    Other Compass Courses on this forum.

Welcome aboard and keep posting. Lance.
    JoDog

Hello Currently studying with Compass  Empty Re: Hello Currently studying with Compass

Post  JoDog Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi Lance,

That would be great if admin would put up another thread about this course as would love to speak to anyone else who might be doing it. I just submitted Module 4 and got another A cheers yeah me! Onto Module 5 now - Unusual Canine Behaviour so feel like I've broken the back in it and am seriously thinking of doing the Adv dip in Canine Behaviour Managment.

Yes,Limerick Animal Welfare are not to far away from me and I support them where I can. They do absolutly amazing work. I connected up with Wiccaways on facebook and see their snowed under - hope conditions improve quickly. Jo
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:30 pm

Welcome Jo. I hope you find the forum helpful. I'm afraid I have been absent for a long while due to other committments but hope to pick up my studies and time on the forum soon. I will put up another thread for your course. I am sure you may find interesting information on some of the threads for other courses as well though.

Good luck and please don't hesitate to ask if we can be of further assistance!

Chris
    Carole.T
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi Jo,

Welcome to the forum. I have no knowldege of the course that you are doing I am afraid. I completed my A.Dip CBM in 2007.

FYI if you cannot go down the (very expensive!) BSc university course route with regarding gaining qualifications in Animal/Dog Behaviour then the A.Dip CBM is the best option. Lance may also be aware of this, but a 'top-up' type course has/is being planned by Compass on Canine Behaviour that will provide students with the equivalent of the BSc. From what I understand it is being trialled now by one of the Education Officers in the UKRCB. So by the time you finish your A.Dip CBM,hopefully,there will be a follow-on Compass course (as the aim is for Behaviourists to achieve the BSc/level 6 qualification standard in years to come).

There are a couple of Compass courses I fancy, but I really need to finish my Animal Care College course first!

Enjoy your studies!

Regards,

Carole

(P.S. Hi Chris!!)
    JoDog

Post  JoDog Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:57 pm

hi Carole!
    Sorry for delay in replying - have been sick for about three weeks and wasn't able for anything too intelligent while I recovered Very Happy Thankfully seem back to normal ( Well, for me) and have finally finished and submitted Module 5 today so just waiting feedback and the final Module for this course! Once I'm finished this one I'm hoping to do the A Dip CBM. I definatly would be interested then in doing the BSc their going to offer. As you said I have neither the time nor financial resources to chase the university route and to be honest its sadly lacking over here in Ireland any type of these kind of courses. Britian is far more to the forefront when it comes to canine education and understanding.
    I do find you have to be pretty disciplined and I'm afraid this one has taken me longer than the recommended six months but I'm also working and have a 18 month old son, so I'm a little stretched. But enjoying it and looking forward to chatting and getting others thoughts on here.
    Talk soon!
    Jo!
    JoDog

Post  JoDog Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:58 pm

Admin wrote:Welcome Jo. I hope you find the forum helpful. I'm afraid I have been absent for a long while due to other committments but hope to pick up my studies and time on the forum soon. I will put up another thread for your course. I am sure you may find interesting information on some of the threads for other courses as well though.

Good luck and please don't hesitate to ask if we can be of further assistance!

Chris

hi Chris

Got that! Thanks a million!
    Look forward to chatting soon.
    Jo

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:04 pm