Canine Behaviour

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion relating to advanced courses on canine behaviour modification

3 posters

Yippee I've finished the Grooming

Admin
    Admin

Yippee I've finished the Grooming Empty Yippee I've finished the Grooming

Post  Admin Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:20 pm

At last, I have finished the Grooming Course! Passed with an average of 94% so really chuffed, so I am now a fully qualified groomer!

More exciting is that I can now enrol on the Compass Course and get started. I am still doing the Animal Care College Aggression course but to be honest I am finding it hard going and am not very motivated. It might just cross over a bit with the Diploma course so I am hoping I can do them both together - glutton for punishment!

I can't decide whether to pay it all up front on the old plastic or pay module by module. If I pay all in one go it might make me work a bit harder and quicker. If I pay by module I will probably be a bit slow in getting finished and then ordering the next one! What have you all done?
    Carole.T
    Carole.T

Yippee I've finished the Grooming Empty Grooming Course / ACC Aggression Course etc

Post  Carole.T Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:08 pm

Well done you Chris for finishing the grooming Course. You just need to enjoy getting knee deep in dog hair now and going through a few Dysons!! My neighbour, who only grooms Min Schnauzers, has converted her front bedroom into a little grooming parlour (its a bungalow), she doesn't do bathing though as not the facilities, hence just sticking to the one breed and not doing too much work.

Re: ACC Aggression course.
    I am thinking of doing that one in a couple of months time as I have completed the 'Intro/Intermed/Advanced' Canine Psychology which then gave me the 'Diploma in Canine Psychology' (Was called the 'Diploma in Advanced Canine Psychology' when I attained it though. They have changed the name). The reason for doing the Aggression cousre is that once that has been completed at the required level, added on to the Dip.Can.Psych I will then be awarded their HND equiv 'Advanced Diploma in Canine Psychology' which in the absence of money and time to go to Uni, is about as good academically as I can go I think. How far into the course are you? How do you rate it? Will it help to get practical experience and try to observe or consult with a local Behaviourist? (I don't proclaim to do Aggression cases in my literature - with the ideal of only Vet Behaviourists or APBC etc people qualified to do those, I stick to training and minor behaviour issues). I was thinking of visiting our local RSPCA to see how they deal with assessments of aggressive dogs, if it helped, and they let me?

Re: Payment for the A.Dip CBM, I paid monthly as I worked part-time and could only afford the monthly option. I did not find that it had any bearing on the speed of work! I shall probably pay the ACC course by installments also, as I am now less than part-time in my earnings (AND just found out today that the council, my employers, omitted to pay me for 30 hours work I did for them last month!).

Well done again.
    olwen
    olwen

Yippee I've finished the Grooming Empty Re: Yippee I've finished the Grooming

Post  olwen Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:41 pm

Well done for completing the grooming course. Was it mostly theory? I'm not sure how you could do practicals if it was a correspondence course.

I'm paying by module as this is the easiest for me.
    Admin
    Admin

Yippee I've finished the Grooming Empty Grooming Course

Post  Admin Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:29 pm

The grooming course was a lot of theory and photographs/diagrams. I also bought the recommended set of DVD's to accompany the course. Then, I was lucky in that friends and clients let me use their dogs to practice. I'm getting faster all the time although I am having to have a break until I recover from my op. I guess you do have to be fairly practical to be able to do it, but its not that difficult.
    olwen
    olwen

Post  olwen Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:17 pm

I've been looking at doing a grooming course with my local agricultural college (Moulton) They do a 2 week intensive c&G course.

I was wondering if anyone is working as a groomer and how they do it? Do you work from home (converted a room/garage), mobile - how does that work, do you have a van or do you use the client's bathroom or from a premises?

Also where is the best place to get supplies? I've looked on line and seen a great mobile start up kit for £1100.

There is a handy local shop that is up for rent from the council, although it may well be gone by the time I am ready to start.

I am wondering if something like a shop front would be good to run a training/behaviour/grooming business from.
    olwen
    olwen

Post  olwen Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:28 pm

The local college course is only a level 2 so it means that you spend £1000 to learn how to bath a dog and prepare it for grooming!

I have found somewhere else the same distance away who does their own course not C&G more expensive but over 15 days not 10 and it covers stuff like running the business as well as hands on. Plus after support if you get a client with a breed you've not used before.
    olwen
    olwen

Post  olwen Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:33 pm

who did you do your grooming course with?
    olwen
    olwen

Post  olwen Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:41 am

How are you doing with the grooming? Have you managed to get the business started?

I am still thinking of doing a course and am torn between going somewhere where I'd have to stay overnight for the week or somewhere that is closer, an hour's drive. Think it's going to cost the same in petrol as it would B&B.

THe further away course is run by someone who has years of experience, the closer one is run by someone who is just about to do C&G 3 so is fresher in her training. Both people sound lovely, I;ve met the further away lady, who steered my away from my first choice of trainer as they weren't registered with the Groomers Association and gave me a lot of hints and tips. Second lady has been really good at answering my emails.

I might be getting made redundant and would be using my redundancy money to pay for it and a EU grant to get started up but I don't want to waste my time or money on the wrong course.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:03 am

Hi Olwen, I did an online course with jkl grooming. Its is a Canadian based company. Its quite in depth but obviously it is better if you have someone to show you the practical side. The course comes with a lot of DVD's and they are useful as you can see how to hold the dog/equipment. Not sure it wouldn't be better to have some one there though actually telling you and showing you if you are doing it wrong.

I have to admit I don't enjoy it! I scissored a little cavachon yesterday who was quite sweet but it takes a long time to sort out a coat with lots of matts. I did have a week where I had a number of dogs to do and I found that I got quicker with each dog, which is natural I suppose. Because I have the kennels and the traning and behaviour I haven't really pushed the grooming, but a few people keep coming back to me, so I must be doing something all right. I think one of the most important facts I have found is that not everyone wants their dog to look like a show dog. The groomers round here tend to send everything out looking like a crufts exhibit and not everyone wants that. I personally prefer a dog to have a bit of character and many owners actually want that if you ask them, so I don't follow the patterns rigidly and try and make the dog look cute and sometimes scruffy to suit their personality! I think that is why people come back to me.

I am going to sell the DVD's if you are interested I can list them for you. I am also thinking of selling the hydrobath and blaster dryer

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:47 am