Canine Behaviour

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion relating to advanced courses on canine behaviour modification

3 posters

Case Study 2: Tim the Dalmatian

Judzia
    Judzia

Case Study 2: Tim the Dalmatian Empty Case Study 2: Tim the Dalmatian

Post  Judzia Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:51 pm

Hi there,

Can anyone who has done or is doing module 12 help me with a question about Tim the Dalmatian in case study 2. In short, Tim has no problem following instruction from the Wife but has a real problem following instruction from the husband. Things seem to have become worse following surgery to remove Tim's dew claw after it became septic following an injury. During this time he received lots of love and attention. Tim normally spends a while on the bed with his owners before getting down. However, recently he has objected to leaving the bed and showing his teeth to the Husband when told to get down.
    Question: Is Tim showing his teeth as a threat to the husband or could it be a submissive smile which I understand is a common behaviour in Dalmatians ?
    Admin
    Admin

Case Study 2: Tim the Dalmatian Empty Re: Case Study 2: Tim the Dalmatian

Post  Admin Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:44 am

Hi, I am nowhere near module 12 unfortunately have had to take a break from the diploma as I have other things going on! My immediate response would be we need to know if there is anything else going on along with the showing of teeth. EG how is Tim's body language, is there any vocalisation. As he is reluctant to get off the bed I would summise that its a curling of lip rather than smile.

How consistent is the man with Tim? Is this causing a problem, or is Tim being allowed too much of his own way with the woman so he does not have any boundaries and is therefore trying to do as he wants and will do whatever he (Tim) has to do to get it? Hence the stubborness when he is asked to get off the nice comfy bed. Does that make sense?

Chris
    Carole.T
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi there,

I will dig out my Module 12 'cases' in the next day or two and look over my answer and the tutor's comments and let you know what I interpreted about it all.

My 'stickler' of a case was Annie the BC, this was because I felt the wording in the case information was a bit unclear or contradictory - but it may just have been me as the tutor didn't agree with my take on it!

Regards

Carole
    Judzia
    Judzia

Post  Judzia Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:04 pm

Dear Chris and Carole

I really appreciate you both replying to my question regarding the case study. Thankyou Carole for taking the time to root out your module and assisting me. Unfortunately Chris, the information we are given for each case study is very minimal. There is no information about the Dalmatian's body language prior to being asked to get off the bed. It just says that Tim objects to getting off the bed and shows his teeth when asked to get down by the husband. The dog does not however have any problem doing what the wife asks. The husband feels that a firm hand is all that is needed but the wife feels that he is too hard on the dog and Tim just needs time and understanding to get back to his old self following the operation.....which she feels was a lot for him to deal with. The case study goes on to say that when you arrive, Tim gets down off the sofa to come and give you a big typical dalmatian welcome.
    Tim is 7 years and entire and shares his home with a Dachshund who was adopted 3 years ago. After initial minor differences between the 2 dogs, the Dachshund accepted a subordinate position.

Thanks again
    Lisa
    Carole.T
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Module 12 - Tim the Dalmation

Luckily it was top of the pile in my box of answers, so easily found!

One thing that annoyed me about the Case Histories when I did it, was that none of the dogs had a 'vet check' immediately prior to the consultation - So, basically I found that I had to make up the outcome of a vet visit where applicable. Not ideal as if you are not experienced on the clinical side of things, or of what a vet may check for, you may easily go down the wrong 'diagnosis' track? Although the cases do ask for alternative Case Scenario summary, so at least that provides 'non-vet check' diagnosis.

Well re: Tim
    I presumed that no medical conditions had been found to be the cause of the dog's behaviour.

Some of the contributory factors I gave were;

Mrs S at home mostly all day with the dog.
    Recent surgery which took a long time to heal.
    Extra attention provided by Mrs S as a result.
    Conflict of ownership styles.
    The dog's enhanced status re: spending time with the owners on their bed.
    The dog had always been territorial.
    The dog does not recognise Mr S's authority over him.

All the above had a 'tick' ok.

Also;
    Aggression, Resource guarding and Defensive behaviours are all normal dog behaviours.

The dog has no 'learning history' with Mr Smith.
    There is nothing sufficiently rewarding enough to the dog to carry out Mr S's commands.
    Lack of recognition of Mr Smith as a higher status.
    Reinforcement of dog's conflicting or unwanted behaviours by Mrs S.

Some of the influencing factors I supplied were;
    Tim is likely to have received & learnt to enjoy additional attention from Mrs S during recovery from sugery.

The demands on him to get off the bed is a sudden removal of learnt privilages and may result in aggression.

Tim may now look upon Mrs S as a valuable resource.

Disobedience could be the result of the dog never having been taught what behaviour is acceptable/required.

Some Breed charactersitics I gave were;
    Can be strong willed / Needs firm handling - especially teenage males (we used to have a Dally when I was young so I can concur with some of these issues) / Bred to guard 'horses' & carriage occupants originally / Hart & Hart's cluster research description was "Low reactivity - High Aggression - Low Trainability (Though I did point out that there are many contributory factors involved in a particular aspect of a dog's beahviour).

Misc;
    No apparent medical reasons.

Tim may have become over-attached to Mrs S and her behaviours towards him may have increased his reliance on her.
    The other dog accepts Tim's resource guarding of the bedroom, so no issue between the dogs.
    Diet seems well balanced / premium dog food.
    He seems to receive adequate exercise.

My Diagnosis;
    Resource guarding / Protective aggression / Territorial aggression / lack of owner authority (Mr S) / Learnt behaviour.

I shall leave it to you to interpret as to what prognosis you would give and what Training/Behaviour modification plan you would present to the owners (and 'Owner Education'!).

Some protocols I used were;
    Crate Training (teach the dog to settle in the crate)
    Leadership.
    Programme for Aggression.
    Reward Based Training.

Sheila's comments included;
    Physical exercise helps induce a tired mental state (I commented that it did not neccessarily do so - taking into account the physiology of Stress and increased adrenalin).
    The DEFRA leaflet on barking tells the owner "to tell the dog to be quiet" without mentioning that it needs to be taught first!
    If the owner looks at the dog when he is barking for attention, then they look away - they are providing mixed signals to the dog.

I did not personally pick up on teeth barring in Dallies & other breeds as a submissive behaviour and Sheila didn't mention it either. I know what you mean though. In a case I went to about a year ago, the dog was submissive in such way & acted silly mainly with the 'top person' in the family unit, not those the dog was actually aggressive towards. Personally I did not believe that Mr S was sufficiently important to Tim, for Tim to feel that he had to be submissive. But as you say, there is so little information that you have to make a lot of it up yourself!

Apart from that everything else I suggested/information provided seemed acceptable.

I hope that this helps with your thoughts, interpretations and diagnosis etc.

Just to confuse things, I was also told not to "take at face value what you have read and quoted, but critically examine everything you read, pointing out areas where you disagree and justifying your comments".

Regards

Carole

Judzia
    Judzia

Post  Judzia Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi Carole
    You have been extremely helpful and I thankyou for the time you have taken in supplying so much information on the case study. You have given me confidence in what I have drafted out so far in my answer, as I have been coming to the same conclusions with regards to the diagnosis. The problem is that I tend to over analyse everything and then end up doubting my findings.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Regards
    Lisa

P.S. I totally relate to your frustrations relating to lack of vet check prior to consultation.
    Carole.T
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:21 pm

Hi 'Judzia'

No problem. It is reinforcing to me also, in that you have also come to similar conclusions. As with Distance Learning - as great as it is - you still find yourself doubting your own judgement sometimes don't you?

Only 10 more cases to go!!

Regards

Carole

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:49 am