Canine Behaviour

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion relating to advanced courses on canine behaviour modification

5 posters

After long deliberation......

Lisa

After long deliberation...... Empty After long deliberation......

Post  Lisa Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:31 pm

I have finally signed up for the Compass Advanced Diploma!! Have been pondering on this for months and thought it was about time I made a decision.

So just waiting for stuff to arrive now, feeling both excited and a bit apprehensive of the hard work ahead!!! I'm sure I'll be picking some brains!!!

Am also thinking of re-picking up KCAI - Kennel Club Accredited Instructors Scheme (lapsed my membership about 2 years ago) as there are some cross overs on modules and figure whilst studying the subject for one, I may as well study it for both. Who else on here is on the KCAI? How are you finding it now?

Chris - maybe we could have a section for KCAI?

Lisa
    x
    Carole.T
    Carole.T

After long deliberation...... Empty Re: After long deliberation......

Post  Carole.T Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi Lisa,

Well done!

Re: A.Dip CBM - There seems to be a few people doing this Course now, which is nice to see. I wish you all the best, it is time consuming and challenging, but worth the sense of achievement in the end I think. I managed to complete it in 2007, it took me a couple of years (I didn't rush, about 2 months per module which was right for me).

It is interesting that you have decided to pick up the KCAI shceme again. I signed up in 2007, did my APL? (points), wilted at all the modules then....well all came to a full stop. I managed to get accepted as a 'member working towards accreditation' - which is such a mouthful isn't it? I wish they had a different description of this level of membership, takes up such a lot of room on my literature!!

As I have not really done much practical stuff over the last 2 years for various reasons, I don't feel confident that I have the experience yet to fill in the modules. I believe that they have changed a little since I printed the original ones off. I have been thinking of digging it all out again, to give me some sort of incentive to get back into more practical work.

Although it is a very off-putting scheme re: paperwork, in honesty I like the way it encourages you to come out of your comfort zone and look at areas/disciplines you may not know much about.

I actually had a call one day just before Xmas from a lady in the KCAI office and she told me they had more mentors on board and there was one in my area who would contact me in January, for a chat and see what help I may need with the Scheme. I thought that was a really good idea, as often you don't do anything through lack of motivation or it goes to the back of the queue of our daily demands, or you feel a bit out there on your own doing these types of things. I am really looking forward to 'whoever' contacting me, as I really do need some encouragement and incentive to keep going with my 'canine career' choice and it may just be the thing to dig out my paperwork and actually make some progress!!

Well done for being so organised about your studies.

Regards

Carole

Lisa

After long deliberation...... Empty Re; After long deliberation .... KCAI

Post  Lisa Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi Carole

Can't wait to get my Diploma stuff.....

I had a long chat with Abi at the KCAI (who now runs it) yesterday and there seem to be many more mentors, regional meetings etc in place now, which means there seems to be much more of a support network there to help.

It's interesting actually as I had built up so much stuff and filed it all in scheme order. Well a few months ago I had a major clearout (you know one of those moments!) and chucked loads of it!!!!! Then refiled it how I wanted it, not around the scheme. But in a way it was worth it. Picking it up again now, I have decided on a completely different way of doing it, which will be much easier. And rather than felling a whole forest I am going to reference a lot more to books and websites, rather than always printing stuff out and filing it.

Sometimes a break in something does you good and you come back to it with a fresh head!

Lisa
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:27 pm

Well done on taking the plunge Lisa. I am thoroughly enjoying the course although I am frustrated that I have had to take a break of about 4 weeks because of domestic issues. I can't wait to get started again.

I have ummed and ahhed over the KC scheme so many times, got the paperwork but then never gone any further. Perhaps, if it overlaps with the Adv Dip I'll have another look.
    olwen
    olwen

Post  olwen Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:31 pm

I'm enjoying the ADip and have just got back into it following a break. I was doing PTLLS and haven't been well.

Have thought about the KC Scheme but don't think I could manage it on top of everything else.
    Jessie
    Jessie

Post  Jessie Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Hello and good luck Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 am