Canine Behaviour

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion relating to advanced courses on canine behaviour modification

4 posters

Module project

olwen
    olwen

Module project Empty Module project

Post  olwen Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:37 pm

Question a. = yes, now I just need to write 800 words around it! scratch Laughing
    Carole.T
    Carole.T

Module project Empty Re: Module project

Post  Carole.T Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:30 pm

I am sure it will all begin to flow once you get going.

Basically I wrote around the fact that dogs have always been selectively bred (though then for function) since their early domestication alongside man. I gave examples of what they have been bred for (including food!). I wrote about the first dog shows and how dogs have evolved in the way they have been bred as a result (including the difference now seen between 'show' and 'working' lines of the same breed)and how dogs not fit for the required function would in the past, have been euthanised or not bred from, thereby any mutations in the gene pool would be unlikely to be passed on. I mentioned some common hereditary conditions found today. BUT, if I were writing this today I think that I would include the campaigns brought in by bodies such as the KC to reverse some of these (unacceptable) adverse physical and medical conditions now found in may breeds. So it may be worthwhile looking at the KC website to check out their views and schemes (whether you agree with the KC or not, I believe that they are the most influencial and recognised organisation regarding dog breeding!).

I also gave an example of what would now be considered an unacceptable breed confirmation trait.

I also mentioned the 'then' proposed Animal Welfare Bill (so including this now current Act and any updates with regards to issues that may 'cause unnecessary suffering' may be useful?)

I gave my personal viewpoints.

The resources I looked at were;
    Genetics for Dog Breeders by Roy Robinson (another London library resource!)
    APBC Book of Companion Animal Behaviour

KC web site

Dogs Monthly articles by David Hancock (he doesn't write for them anymore since the publishers changed, but he may have books available. He provided some very useful breed comparison photo's and interesting reading in his articles).

The then 'proposed' Animal Welfare Bill

If I was writing it now, I think that I would give credit to the (better late than never that is!) efforts many breeders and the KC etc are making to improve the welfare of many breeds, albeit it seems after pressure from the media, public and various other organisations!

I'm sure you will do it!

Regards

Carole
    olwen
    olwen

Post  olwen Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:13 pm

Thanks

i have downloaded and read the Bateman report today.

Was thinking of just writing the word Yes 800 times Very Happy
    olwen
    olwen

Post  olwen Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:15 pm

I also have a back copy of Dogs Today with info on Dallys and their stone issues and how people are trying to add in pointer blood to help.
    Carole.T
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:35 pm

Yes I read that too and have a copy (Re: Dallies). It just makes you want to bang some breeders heads together doesn't it!!
    olwen
    olwen

Post  olwen Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:14 pm

Got the module back this week and another A Very Happy

Module 3 looks a lot harder, not sure where to find a scientific study claiming to prove intelligence in dogs, been through my library, may have to have a closer read of Scott and Fuller.

Same with the module project, researching those will be fun.

Has anyone else done module 3 and how did you find it? The cold hard facts I'm not having issues with. Question 3.6 What are soduim and potassium? I'm guessing "chemicals" isn't going to be an indepth enough answer though!
    Carole.T
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi Olwen,

Well done for your 'A'...beat my B+ for module 2, again!

Mind you hopefully we are both on a 'roll'...I got an 'A' for my first module on my Aggression course! One of my questions in my module 2 seems to be about the physiology of the brain, so digging out my Compass module 3 answers may help me there also. I will have a dig around to see if I can find them (I can find the module in my files, but not the answers!). This may help re: Sodium & Potassium;

Normally potassium concentrations are high inside a cell, sodium and calcium are high in the surrounding fluid.

"After firing, a nueron must be returned to its resting state, that of being negatively charged. To achieve this, sodium molecules must be moved out of the cell and potassium be moved back in.This exchange leaves the cell with a slightly negative charge and the surrounding fluid with a positive charge. In this state, the cell is ready to receive new nerve transmissions and react accordingly."

Taken from: Canine Epilepsy - A guide to living with and without seizures. by Caroline D Levin (2002. Lantern publications, Oregon City. Ch3 p26)

Basically, off the top of my head, I think that sodium is akin to being an 'excitory' neurotransmitter and potassium an 'inhibitory' neurotransmitter. As the book goes on to explain that in cases of excess sodium present in comparison to potassium, calcium has a greater chance of entering the neurons and this contributes to "excess neuromuscular excitability" (p54)which reduces seizure thresholds.

The above book is specific to the clinical condition of seizures, so thinking out loud (as my 'aggression' module 2 has a dietry question...it may be if excess sodium contributes to a sodium/potassium imbalance that may contribute hyperactive behaviour?? I will have to look in to that one).

IF I manage to find my Compass module 3 answers, I will see if I can help further re: the scientific study. Stanley Coren wrote a book about the intelligence of dogs, but I am not sure that it was as scientifically based as people like Scott & Fuller. I seem to have referred to Scott & Fuller from my answers saved on the PC (though I don't have the tutors comments, if any, on that question to hand).

I did find details of books that I had used for Module 3;

(again some probably loaned from out Central Library or looked at in their Reference section, as I certainly don't own any of them!!)

David Le Vay 'Human Anatomy & Physiology' Teach Yourself books (1996)

Robert Ornstein & Richard F Thompson 'The Amazing Brain' (1985)

P.J Mill 'Comparative Neurobiology' (1982)

Steven Rose (ed) 'From Brain to Conciousness' (1998)

Is one of the questions something to do with comparing the human and canine brain? Otherwise I have no recall as to why I used the above books!!

Also used;

Turner T (ed) (1990. Reprint 2001) Veterinary Notes for Dog Owners. London, Popular Dogs Publishing co.

Scott J P and Fuller J L (1965) Genetics and the Social Behaviour of the Dog. Chicago, The Chicago University Press.

O’Heare J (2001) Canine Neuropsychology for Dog Behaviour Counselors and Trainers. Ottowa, Gentle Solutions.

Beaver, Bonnie V (1999) Canine Behaviour: A Guide for Veterinarians. Philadelphia, W.B. Saunders Co.

Strong V (1999) The Dog’s Dinner. Windsor, Alpha Publishing.

Hope this may help

Regards

Carole
    olwen
    olwen

Post  olwen Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:34 am

Carole.T wrote:

Is one of the questions something to do with comparing the human and canine brain? Otherwise I have no recall as to why I used the above books!!

Regards

Carole

Yes that is one of the questions. I have all the dog books you have apart from Canine Behaviour: A Guide for Veterinarians. O'Heare is proving invaluable. Did you know it's gone out of print? Thanks for the info on soduim and potadsium.

Congratulations on your A.
    Jessie
    Jessie

Post  Jessie Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Congrats, I got B+ for module 2 which is okay, but i know i could have done better...being a breeder, i know this subject well, and because of that i didnt put in as much work as i should have, leaving some of my module questions short. I dont plan to make that mistake again lol. Will make a start on 3 tomorrow Smile
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:48 am

Jessie, is that you in the photo with the skirt? Is it a welshie at your side?
    Chris

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:22 am