Canine Behaviour

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion relating to advanced courses on canine behaviour modification

3 posters

Difficult clients

olwen
    olwen

Difficult clients Empty Difficult clients

Post  olwen Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:44 pm

I've got a new client who came from another training school saying that that trainer wasn't letting her progress as fast as she wanted to.

I've been getting reports that she's one of those who latches on to you and in the class doesn't listen. She seems to have been around every trainer in the area and doesn't want to do anything other than clicker training.

Apparently in the last class she was at she would just get up and go and make a cup of coffee whenever she felt like it. I've also heard that people have asked her to leave their clubs.

It's quite hard to explain but the woman is "odd"

Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with people who have the potential to be difficult?
    Lisa

Difficult clients Empty Re: Difficult clients

Post  Lisa Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:12 pm

The first thing I would say is to make your own opinion of this client, find out what she wants to achieve with her dog (if you haven't already)and if she has any preferred ways of doing so and why. And are these realistic expectations.

It is very easy to listen to rumours on the grapevine..... think back to chinese whispers and how stories get exagerated and changed completely.

All classes run differently and maybe she was held back in a previous class. Maybe one to one training would suit her better and allow her to work at her own pace.

Let us know what happens.

Lisa
    Lisa

Post  Lisa Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:13 pm

Have to add, don't know why it has underlined the word 'listen', it wasn't me!!!!
    olwen
    olwen

Post  olwen Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:10 pm

It does seem to underline words, I've no idea why either.

I've met the woman, she turned up at my house with her 2 dogs and was here for ages! Then at the dog show I was running at the weekend she decided to set up camp beside the registration table.

I've already decided that she's going to have to be kept at arm's length or she could become a hanger on. She seems needy and my co-trainer has started saying that I have a new best friend. As I said "odd" is really the only way I can think of describing her.

Polite and firm I think is going to have to be the way forward. At least I don't have tea and coffe facilities.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:09 am

Two things spring to mind. 1 she is very lonley and needs someone to stand by for confidence. 2 she is a bit odd and wants everyone to think you are her new best friend.

I think arm's length is probably best as you say! Firm, fair and effective in this case!
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:10 am

I think you're posting on the wrong forum paripalu!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 pm