Discussion relating to advanced courses on canine behaviour modification

Text Books

shepherdess

Text Books

Post  shepherdess on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:28 pm

This may be easier to answer by those that have already done this course but does anyone have any suggestions as to which books on the reading list are the most useful for the 1st module. I do have quite a few of the more basic ones already but of the more technical ones any ideas.
    olwen

Re: Text Books

Post  olwen on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:00 pm

oh that would be helpful. A lot of it is in my head but having to reference everything is hard. It remembering where I learnt things, did I learn from a book, a seminar or a person?

I have:

How dogs learn - Burch and Bailey
    Don't Shoot the dog - Prior
    Ready Sseady click - King
    Control unleashed - McDevitt
    The other end of the leash - McConnell
    Oh Behave - Donaldson.

which I am going to dip into to get the referencing info.

kiriaman

Post  kiriaman on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:25 pm

Out of interest what is the reading list please? I have many books (and still so many to read) I have found since starting my F/Degree I spend most of my time looking for references as opposed to being able to enjoy the books back to back (although some are def designed just for that I think Shocked )

Chris

Post  Chris on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:47 pm

You can find a lot of studies available on the net if you try out a few different wordings to what you are looking for in the search. Always worth giving a go to putting in the title of any papers you feel might be of interest that you see quoted in books because it's surprising how often you can find them online.

This is a useful site for the classics (Darwin, Watson etc)

http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/topic.htm

Referencing is always a pain, but increasingly important if you want to achieve a good grade - particularly on Foundation Degrees and BSc's (they can make the difference between pass and fail). Also watch the word counts. Again, these can make one heck of a difference to grades given.

lance
    Admin

Post  lance on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:01 pm

Could you give us the reading list book titles please. I'm doing the previous course ( Higher Certificate Cynolgy) and we were not given a reading list for this. But because I am a book addict I have got and read many, many books and articles on this subject and also beyond dogs to animal studies. I could therefore be able to give a view on the usefulness and comparative merits etc of probably all the books on the reading list for your course.There are also very many relevant articles on the web. Either follow up references in bibliographies in other books or just Google words like: dog training; dominance; etc. Derek

Chris

Post  Chris on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:15 pm

Can't help on the recommended reading list for the compass course as I haven't done it, but a small word of caution, if the course is like most of the other good courses, the reading list will be updated regularly so may not be the same from year to year.

Burch and Bailey, Steven Lindsay and Karen Pryor seem to be pretty standard on most reading lists, but, as said, I haven't seen the Compass Course study guide

shepherdess

Text Books

Post  shepherdess on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:39 pm

Here are some of the books on the reading list. APBC book of companion animal behaviour, Budiansky the truth about dogs, Burch & Bailey how dogs learn,Carlson Physiology of behaviour, Cartwirght Determinants of animal behaviour, Coppinger dogs, Grinham dog training & behaviour,Landsberg handbook of behaviour problems of the dog, Lieberman learning behaviour & cognition, Lindsay hadnbook of applied dog nehaviour & training, Lund animal cognition Miklosi dog behaviour evolution & cognition, Overall Clinical behavioural medicine for small animals, Reid Excel-erated learning, Ruvinsky the genetics of the dog, Serpell the domestic dog. This is not the full list
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:49 pm

Hi, I still have the Reading List from approx 2005 and it has everything as per the previous Post, plus more. There are 23 in all on my List, but bear in mind as stated by Chris, the titles may change from time to time. However, when I had a discussion with David Montgomery at the time - he particularly recommended the Landsberg book (I borrowed the Karen Overall book and others from the APDT library - the best £15 I have spent in years!).

Luckily already owned 11 on the List so any extra did not seem like a big spend and I checked both Amazon and W H Smith sites to find the cheapest. I did find that I used the Landsberg book a lot, especially for the last Module.

It is a 'Suggested' List and does say that it welcomes suggestions of titles. I also did more 'on-line' researching with this Course than my previous one, I never seemed to be off the computer!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:25 am