Discussion relating to advanced courses on canine behaviour modification

Who else is on the scheme?

Lisa

Who else is on the scheme?

Post  Lisa on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi all

Who on this forum in doing the KCAI? And how are you doing?

I have been on the scheme for a number of years, joined in 2005 I think, but let my membership lapse in 2008. Have now repicked this up, so am keen to know who else is here!!!

Lisa
    wolfgsd

Re: Who else is on the scheme?

Post  wolfgsd on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:12 pm

I was. joined when it first started and then chucked it about 3 years ago. Too much paperwork and I didn't want to be assessed by the two people in my area that are assessors. Don't have a lot of faith in the scheme and is still disppointed that they accept all trainng methods even pinch collars

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:05 am

I have picked up the info so many times but haven't ever really got any further. Just hearing people complain about the amount of paperwork puts me off!
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:54 pm

I joined in 2007, somewhere I have my files that I was collecting my 'portfolio'.

Sadly I stopped being involed in classes when we moved a couple of years ago and I am finding it difficult to build up practical work again. However, I remain in the scheme and will do so as in honesty, I like the way it is a 'multi-discipline' scheme and you do not have to have minimal academic requirements and it accepts people from across the board.

Believe me I am not a great fan of the KC on the Breeding side, but at the time (and now) it was/is something for me to aim for as I don't have the required degrees for some of the other Orgs.

Yes, the paperwork is almost monumental but I don't think it needs filling out until you are ready to be assessed? In honesty at my more mature age and stage of experience, I shall probably not actually get to the 'fully' qualified level anyway, but I'm not sure that I would re: number of cases needed to have carried out, for the UKRCB either. It gives me something to aim for though!

The dilema with me is, do I try to 'Top Up' my A.Dip CBM to a degree (only IF I can get funding) because of the pressure placed on many of us to get these degrees. How much of the extra degree course work gets transferred into daily life? The hours needed to continue studying at degree level, would it be more beneficial to spend those hours getting more practical experience? Or, stick with the KCAI which is open to all and try the UKRCB?

I know there must be some unsavoury representatives of the KCAI, but I have also seen not so 'positive' training carried out by APDT members...so no organisation seems perfect?

I do think the KC have introduced some good things on the 'Pet Dog Owner' side of things over the years, to give them their due (The Good Cit...though I know it needs tweaking / KC Dogs / 'Open for All' encouraging retailers & similar premises to allow dogs / various campaigns that the Government may take notice of etc.). I think it would be great if the KC could split and have Breeding one side and Training/Education/Activities the other side...not likely to happen though is it?

Mind you, I am still awaiting my call from this KCAI 'mentor' I was supposed to get in January...I don't think they have one yet for this area, despite what they told me.

I haven't actually filled in a module yet though!!

Regards

Carole

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:08 am

Have you made any decisions Carole. I have the same dilemma as you!
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:32 pm

Hi Chris,

Yes I think so!

I have been taking my 'Flower Essences' to help me get my thoughts together (Well, 'whatever' helps with the decision making process!)

In honesty, I took a day off work to attend the Sparsholt College 'Open Day' but did not go as I think that I have decided on a way forward that suits me, and not just to keep up with the latest academic requirements to get a BSc in Applied Animal Behaviour. I feel that my 'CPD' is going to be;

1) Carry on with the KCAI Scheme (You never know 'One day' I may qualify!). As it is an 'inclusive' Scheme, accepting people from all backgrounds and across the various canine activities. Hopefully it won't be too long before they get a mentor for my Region.

2) Complete the ACC 'Aggression' course with the aim to upgrade it to the 'HND' Advanced Diploma.

3) Become affiliated to the UKRCB (Hopefully - at Provisional level, as then Cases are checked/mentored). Again, as it seems to bias towards the practical and appropriate academic -but not soley BSc - education.

4) I have always wanted to learn more about Canine Massage (I am taking my dog to a workshop end of May), as I do like Ttouch. So, I may then spend my money on a 'Canine Physiology & Anatomy' course (which is also part of one of the KCAI Modules I think?) aiming (IF I can get together enough money) to learn Canine Massage.

My hankering towards this route is that; Massage can be a great tool I think to use on your own dogs. As I get older I would like to foster 'oldie' dogs and this would help improve the quality of their life maybe. Plus if I am volunteering at a Rescue Centre (which I enjoy) it may also come in useful there. Not a BSc route, nor a Clinical Behaviourist I know, but a practical and enjoyable way of involving myself with dogs.Plus most importantly doing something that pleases me and not the expectations of others!

Plus, if I am in a position that I Sign on and get Jobseeker's Allowance at any stage, then I can do a PTTls course locally for £40 as oppossed to the normal £268. Then, this will be a good grounding for taking classes.

Classes is something I have to look into once hubby is here to initially help me with, plus I have not looked around for venues yet.

My boss at the Library is keen to bring in local 'Special Interest' groups to give free talks (all to build up the profile of the Libraries to help avoid closures), so thinking laterally, I may be able to offer to do talks on;
    Dog Ownership/Training/Behaviour etc. and get known/potential clients from that?

Yes, I think that I am a bit more settled mentally now about things and can get on with 'doing' rather than keep 'thinking' about what to do next!!
    Oh yes, and to write shorter 'Posts' geek

How about your plans?

Regards

Carole

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:55 pm