Discussion relating to advanced courses on canine behaviour modification

Info re: BSc (Top Up) Canine & Behaviour course

Carole.T

Info re: BSc (Top Up) Canine & Behaviour course

Post  Carole.T on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:59 pm

Hi all,

I just had a call from Bishop Burton answering a few of my questions regarding this course.

I was told that you need to be able to take a dog with a high level of training, at the very least she could consider was the Good Cit 'Gold'.

The training 'weeks' (about 4 days I was advised) a couple of times a year, would involve quite intensive training sessions for the dog.

I was offered to go on the Foundation Degree Course.

As I have done the A.Dip CBM which as we know is graded at Foundation level now, do not have a dog currently with that level of training (Poor Rocky, God rest his soul - yes - well Good Cit 'Gold' anyway!). I can't envisage it being a practical option for me, to do their Foundation degree (3 years) which will mean 5 more years study, costs,travelling etc.

Jody may be only 2&half, but has already been diagnosed with low level HD in one hip and a weak cruciate in the other leg, so putting the dog first, I doubt we will be doing much 'intensive' training with him anyway.

So, back to Sparsholt maybe, once I can sort out some funding scratch

Life never is easy is it?!

Carole
    wolfgsd

Re: Info re: BSc (Top Up) Canine & Behaviour course

Post  wolfgsd on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:36 pm

Actually they have given you incorrect information. You do not need a dog for the BSc top-up and won't need to take one with you unless you do the Advanced instructing module in year 2 (it's an optional module). By advanced level of training, good cits gold is insufficient.
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Thanks Pauline,

The lady was quite positive in that to meet the same level as the students who had completed the Foundation Degree with them, a high level of training was needed with your current dog. I presume anyone on the Foundation Course automatically gets accepted on to the Top Up (as after all, anything can happen to a dog over the 3 year Foundation degree period can't it?).

The A.Dip CBM on its own was not accepted. So either way, on both those counts 'I'm out'!

Thanks for your help clarifying matters though.

Regards

Carole

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:24 pm

Do you know the name of the person who called you Carole please?

Chris
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:34 pm

No Sorry, I forgot to ask her name Chris and she didn't give it either.

Carole

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:03 am

I had a long chat with Bish the other day and they are sending me the info re top ups. I explained I would find it difficult to compete with my dog to any standard because of the kennels and she said it shouldn't be a problem and would be up to the course manager to decide whether or not I had the right criteria for entry! There are two top ups, CBT or a broader based degree covering other species. The CBT is one evening a week over two years, the other can be done over one year, about 2 days a week in college, or part time over 2 years.
    olwen

Post  olwen on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Not sure why you would need to take a dog with you. And what if you chose not to do GC?

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:42 am

I think there is a practical module Olwen so you need to train a dog to a standard, haven't looked in depth at the modules yet. Pauline might be able to fill us in on how it was when she ran it?

Chris
    wolfgsd

Post  wolfgsd on Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:24 am

There is no practical dogtraining module on the BSc, but because there was on the FDSc, any student wanting to take the top-up has to prove that they have trained a dog up to competition standard. Chris, you'd be ok because you did ADT on your HNC. Good cits Gold is just not a high enough standard.

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:53 pm

Thanks Pauline - whats ADT? Brain dead at the moment trying to do the company accounts which need submitting to Company House by end of Feb - and I am no accountant!!!!!

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:53 pm

ahh - Advanced Dog Training?

Lisa

Sparsholt course on for Sept 2011.

Post  Lisa on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:19 pm

Hi all

Have just spoken to Sparsholt about the BSc Top Up and they are hoping to run it starting this Sept 2011. I've got a bit lost on discussions with regards to this, but the lady said the reason they didn't run it this year is that they didn't have enough people but as far as she can see it is going ahead for Sept.

Unfortunately it'll be too soon for me, which is a shame as she said that fees will be going up quite considerably for the 2012 course.

Hope this is of use to some of you.

Lisa

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:34 pm