Canine Behaviour

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion relating to advanced courses on canine behaviour modification

4 posters

Any one have any knowledge of the BSc(Hons) Course?

Carole.T
    Carole.T

Any one have any knowledge of the BSc(Hons) Course? Empty Any one have any knowledge of the BSc(Hons) Course?

Post  Carole.T Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi All,

Like others, I am mulling over the possibility of topping up my Adv.CBM to a BSc(Hons) degree.

I know that Sparsholt College will accept the Adv.CBM as the equiv of a Foundation degree to do their Course.

However, I have been chcecking out the Bishop Burton Course and in some ways I prefer the content of that from what I have read about it on their website. The trouble is they are in Hull I think and although it is a Distance Learning Course in the main, I was told by their Admin dept that attendence is required a couple of weeks a year, with a dog - and/or a couple of weekends. Now that adds to the cost (with accommodation / petrol etc.) and I have a dog that does not travel well in cars, let alone from Dorset to Hull!

I am awaiting someone to call me back so that I may ask more questions.

Otherwise it would be the Sparsholt one for me, but you need to attend 4 week blocks each of the 2 years. At least I can drive there and back each day (about an hour), but I would rather concentrate on a course dedicated to canines (as the BB course says it is) than animals in general.

Mind you I shall only be applying after I have 'signed on' and can then apply for a grant, as otherwise I can not afford to do any of them. (Library cutbacks means my work has dwindled to just 6 hours a week on average...not enough money to feed the dog, let alone us! So job hunting I must go)... still IF I can get my first year paid for then at least there will be something positive come out of it all?.

Regards

Carole
    Admin
    Admin

Any one have any knowledge of the BSc(Hons) Course? Empty Re: Any one have any knowledge of the BSc(Hons) Course?

Post  Admin Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Hi Carole, I am waiting for the Course Manager, Adele to call me regarding the BSc top up at Bishop Burton, of course I have to finish the Compass Adv Dip first! Nothing like a bit of pressure! Can this be done as distance learning, I'm not sure, I thought it was full time. I am lucky in that we are only about 20 miles away and it is an easy run. My son is there doing Horse Management at the moment and my daughter is applying for BSc Equine Science in September. You are very welcome to stay here rather than having to pay for accomodation if you decide to do the Bish course.

Chris
    wolfgsd
    wolfgsd

Any one have any knowledge of the BSc(Hons) Course? Empty Re: Any one have any knowledge of the BSc(Hons) Course?

Post  wolfgsd Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:59 am

Adele isn't the course manager for the canine course, she is the course manager for the applied animal behaviour and trianing course which is full time. The canine BSc is only available part-time and you need to attend one block week and 2 weekends a year (the college is nearer to beverley than hull). Dogs are not required for the course (unless you take the advanced instructing option in year 2) and you will not be able to take a dog with you when you go unless the dog is needed for the sessions that are beign taught at the block week/weekends. Dogs are also no longer allowed to be left in vehicles, they have to go in the creche kennels so that adds extra costs.

Although we did provisionally (at least when I was still course manager) agree to allow a top-up route for Compass students, they need to be able to prove that they have trained a dog up to competition level so that they have the same practical skills as those students that have done the fdsc canine at Bish. Only really because the compass adv diploma has no practical components to it. This may have now changed.

hope this helps. From sept this year I bellive that part-time studetns will be eligible for a student loan in the same way that full-time students are. Lectures are weekly (attendance required) and are on-line via webconferencing.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Thanks for the info Pauline. Is it one day per week or more?
    Chris
    wolfgsd
    wolfgsd

Post  wolfgsd Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:27 pm

one evening per week (2 hour slot) no in-college evening attendence.
    Jessie
    Jessie

Post  Jessie Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:07 pm

I've got the same problem with the distance to sparsholt & bish regarding distance and expense as im in south wales...
    I've been mooching the net and found that Swansea & Bristol University also do the Bsc Top Up and except a foundation degree or equivilent as entry..I dont know whether it will be worth contacting them to see if the Adip would be acceptable?
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:14 pm

You can ask for nothing Jessie, go for it!
    Carole.T
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi Pauline,

Thanks very much for the insight on the Canine Behaviour/Training 'Top Up' course.

Well, I think (if they confirm when I speak to them) that the 'trained a dog to competition level' would rule me out! I've never got involved in that level with my dogs as I have always worked Saturdays since owning dogs, so it has been difficult to get to various shows, therefore I've stuck with Pet Dog training and 'fun' stuff really. I can understand why they want that though if the Foundation attendees were required to display that level.

So, maybe Sparsholt for me then?

Thanks very much Chris for the offer of a bed should I choose/be accepted by BB... same applies if you (or anyone!) needs a stopover in (East) Dorset for whatever reason.

Regards

Carole
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:13 am

Hmm, I could do with a few days in the New Forest!!!!!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:20 pm