Discussion relating to advanced courses on canine behaviour modification

Happy Xmas & A bit of fun - Answers on a Postcard please!

Carole.T

Happy Xmas & A bit of fun - Answers on a Postcard please!

Post  Carole.T on Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:14 pm

Hi all,

For a bit of fun and out of curiosity with our new dog, we recently had a 'Breed DNA' test done (hubby paid!!). We never bothered ourselves about our previous mixed breed dogs, but we thought this would be an interesting exercise (and explain why our 'Rottie/Dobie' type cross stalks like a Collie and runs off in circles scratch ).
    Well the results re in;

Out of 63 Breeds on their database, he has come back with only 2, both at ranges of 37>74% of his DNA for each breed.
    **Border Collie & Rottweiler**

He still looks and acts like a Dobie sometimes I reckon though, but it does explain his stalking and circling behaviours maybe. I thought there would be about 4!! (Rottie/Dobie/BC/Greyhound)

Now the fun part....what do you name a cross of these two breeds? jocolor

Coltie / Brottie / Collweiler etc. etc.?

For when he is a pain he can be a 'Colrot' and if wanting a name with more flourish, he can be a 'Bocolro'!

Any suggestions?

I dare say we will love him just the same as we did all our others, irrelevant of his origins. One thing for sure, we know he is 'Irish' lol!

Happy Xmas and a great New Year to All

Regards,

Carole
    olwen

Re: Happy Xmas & A bit of fun - Answers on a Postcard please!

Post  olwen on Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:34 pm

Interesting cross.

If he's anything like the collie and rottie I had he'll round people up and lick them to death clown

What about Rollie or Colliewillier?
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:59 pm

Thanks Olwen,

Like 'Rollie'. Sounds very, well.....Jolly Very Happy !

No he's not a 'lick you to death' dog (our prev Rottie/GSD/Hound type was with his furrie toys though!). He's very much a happy 'leaner & wriggler'. Loves to lean on you (or anyone nearest)to;
    Gain attention / Get fed / Avoid things he doesn't like being done. Hence the 'leaning' made us think Dobie (as every Dobie I have met seems to have this leaning trait!).

Thank goodness he hasn't got the easily triggered & excited barking of a BC like our last CollieX had. He has that low Rottie 'grumble' though sometimes ('avoidance' strategy again, when wanting to avoid paws wiped etc).

He likes fetching things to show us (wanted or not) now I've started to teach him retrieve(shoes, clothes, washing, items in the 'recycling' bin etc.) Anything he can get his teeth on....as you can tell, he 'loves' attention, a very quietly manipulating dog.

I think that I need to find him some sheep to round up to keep him busy!

Regards

Carole
    olwen

Post  olwen on Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:21 pm

If he likes fetching and carrying teach him some household tasks like the assistance dogs do.

He could help you get ready for bed when you're tired, empty the washing machine, put things in the bin etc.

Love Rottie talk. Often have to explain it to puppy owners, no your puppy's not growling at you he's talking to you. Smile
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:21 pm

Re: Assistance dog work.

Yes, that is my plan once he is more au fait with clicker training (early days and not quite got the hang of it yet!). I was planning to do that with our last dog before he left us, so Jody will just have to step in once his brain is more in gear!

Because of his disposition for HD in one hip and a weak cruciate in the other hind leg, this sort of work will be good for his brain. Plus I am starting down the road with scenting and it would be good to try Tracking one day as well.

Annoyingly I lent a couple of 'Assistance Dog' Training books to a local lady who runs a charity training Goldies for local disabled people. The plan was I may be able to help her (that was her intimation at least). Frustratingly, a year later and despite a couple of emails and a letter to her, she has not responded or sent my books back, plus the fact I had to get them from the USA originally!! I do have DVDs of training Assistance dogs (Barbara Handleman? - sends you to sleep a bit watching them though!). However most is standard common sense stuff isn't it?

As he likes people so much he could have made a good PAT dog, apart from the fact his tail is lethal - curls upwards and just at face height if you are kneeling down or are a kiddie, or just at table height to knock pills and cups everywhere!! Maybe not, wouldn't go down very well I think Embarassed

I am growing to love the low Rottie grumbles too!

Regards

Carole

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:44 am

He sounds like a lovely dog Carole. The DNA results are interesting, I would never have thought to do that! It gives you a better idea what you are dealing with too.

Isn't it annoying when you lend books out and don't get them back?! I am reluctant to lend any now, they are too expensive these days and its so annoying if you want to just look something up quickly, you can guarantee its in one of the books you have loaned out!
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:21 pm

I try not to lend things out but, I thought a lady who runs a charity would have been, well, more charitable about returning them somehow,

Jody (the dog) is in my bad books at present!
    Lovely as he is, his unpredictable stunts of bombing off in circles has progressed to a new level. He usually just does a big circle and gone for max of 2minutes.

Managed to walk him for a whole week last week, off-lead, not one time did he bomb off, recalled perfectly (other dog owners commented "isn't he obedient"!). Even managed to get him to stop still when a cat ran across our path, then a deer (being chased by a Collie). BUT on the last day while walking and talking (fatal mistake, taking your attention off him) with another owner (funnily enough the one whose dog was complicit in me getting my finger broken!) Jody got bored, did one 2minute circle run, then on a 2nd he went further & I could see him running around just enjoying himself in an area people cannot get into, THEN a couple of minutes from home as I was cautiously picking my way down an icy track - Boom - off he went again. Came back about 20minutes later, pleased as punch (my smile did not match my 'happy' sounding expletives!).

Disappointingly, I heard a few days later that he was seen running after a deer, whether he was chasing with intent or just running after something novel, I don't know. So now, back on the lead and once the ground is clear, back to long-line and 'back to basics' Recall training.

We got him at 18 months old and he was probably a 'street' dog running around with his canine pals over in Ireland, literally living the life of Reilly! (I understand how he became a stray now). I reckon we will always be going back to square one to some extent with him and managing him. Maybe when he is about 12 years old he may learn to stay with us and have an instant Recall 'no matter what'...won't hold my breath though, its going to be an ongoing challenge. I'm beginning to realise that it is going to take longer than all our previous rescue dogs to build that 'bond' I think, as yet, life is still all about 'him'!.

I've ordered some tuggy 'food' pouches that I can put some nice bits of liver in, and get him to 'find & retrieve' those while out on walks to hopefully keep his interest in staying nearby us. Lots of dogs have big bells attached to their collars here, I even bought some to try but not done so yet as it is his Recall I need to work on, rather than be able to hear where he has buggered off to!!

He's going to the vet tomorrow for an anti-body blood test....serves him right!!

Anyone want a new dog....Border Collie/Rottie X ....only joking?!!

Regards

Carole

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:21 pm

whoops! So frustrating isn't it, problem with some rescue dogs isn't it, you can never be 100% sure of them.

Why is he going for an antibody blood test?
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:11 pm

Hi Chris,

As Jody was a stray and therefore had no known medical or vaccination history, we decided to have an anti-body test done so that hopefully, we do not over-vaccinate him. He was about 18months when we adopted him, so in theory he could have had his puppy shots & annual booster (doubt it but you never know!) before the DogsTrust started the sequence all over again when he arrived to them. They gave him 2 lots of the full set at 2 weeks apart, and in theory (if he WAS a puppy then) he would be due his booster now.

Our reason being is that 2 out of our past 3 Rescues had bad adverse reactions when they were given the 'full set' of vaccinations, after which we ceased to vaccinate them for various age and medical reasons. So, once bitten twice shy - or whatever the saying is!

There is such a minefield of information with seemingly very clearly opposing views. I have spoken to conventional and homeopathic vets many times about it all, and still it seems 'never the twain shall meet'. Still just as confused.

So, at a great expense (and as we have never done it before, so we have no idea how worthwhile or meaningful it will be) we decided to have Jody tested for the presence of Distempter, Parvo, Heptatitis and Lepto. However, even after discussing it with the vet that the Lepto vaccine does not really last 12months, if that, I think I made a mistake agreeing and paying for something that probably lapsed within his system months ago anyway!

We still are faced with the decision to vaccinate and what for once the results come back (and if even you can obtain individual vaccines!), but at least I feel that I can do it with a clear conscience. I doubt if we will do it again though, as the cost is very prohibitive compared to the 'offer' of the full set vaccine for £30!!

It will be a learning experience for all concerned, even the vet, he says he only gets asked to do those tests about once a year, if that. But he also agreed that he had never seen a hyperthyroid dog before, until we walked through the door with poor Rocky! I think we should get a discount really, being as we seem to be contributing to his and his colleagues 'continuous professional development'.

No doubt, it will come back negative and we'll probably have him done anyway. But it will be very interesting if they show positive, which means he doesn't risk being vaccinated too much, too soon.

That's the trouble when you start all this studying, it creates a questioning mind. Plus on the other hand, 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing'! Can't win can you?

Regards

Carole

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:25 am

Hi Carole, I misunderstood totally! I thought you were having antibody tests because he had disappeared in the forest - I was obviously having a blonde moment!

I didn't realise titre tests were so expensive, a friend of mine has them done annually rather than vaccinating, she seemed to think there was no difference in cost but I may be mistaken.

I didn't vaccinate my dogs after the initial puppy vacs until we opened the kennels, then it changed things unfortunately. Peggy, my hypothyroid weimy who also has intestinal/gut problems definitely goes downhill when she is vaccinated. Sad
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:21 pm

Hi Chris,

If they could test/vaccinate for some sort of tracking device, now I would pay for that!!

We may just have an expensive vet, I must admit I did not ring round (£80 for joint Parvo,Distemper,Hepatitis test....£69 just for the lepto...so you see why I now think BIG mistake to agree to the lepto!! Plus VAT of course). As you can imagine, it may turn out to be a costly curiosity exercise. But if it is beneficial then I may need to ring around vets I think ready for the next time the multi vax is due.

Either our vet is getting an extremely cheap deal from the vaccine manufacturers (£30) for a multi shot, or they are extortionately expensive for titer testing. I have used nosodes before, but there are varying opinions between homeopathic vets whether they are even needed or not!

It is very difficult to not go with the flow of vaccination if you run kennels, board dogs, run classes, take your dog to classes, want to take your dog to hydro etc. etc. You're really up against the wall sometimes aren't you?

Our last homeopathic vet prescribed 'thuja' for Rocky to help counteract his adverse vaccine reactions (Rocky had awful orange, jelly-like stools for a few days, very clingy then had a seizure). Our older girl, Lady, had terrible diarrhoea after her last full set and was losing a lot of blood she had to have emergency medication. The dog before never had a bad reaction, but she suffered from bad arthritis in old age, developed vestibular disease and our then vet was prepared to vaccinate her until her 'geriatric' (she was 13 at the time) blood tests came back that she had kidney failure. We stopped vaccinating her, put her on a sort of BARF diet and when tested at 15, her kidneys were normal! She died at 15 from one vestibular fit too many that she could cope with.

I have no objections to vaccinating Jody, but want to do as few as possible, or none at all now preferably. I am a member of Canine Health Concern, but mainly for interest as I am not anti-vaccine, I just wish the regimes could be more flexible for each dog and at a reasonable cost.

As with both Rocky & Lady, our choices to stop vaccinating turned out to be the right thing to do (we stopped Rocky's a couple of years before he was even diagnosed hyperthyroid). We stopped Lady's when she was approx 10 and she had a healthy life til she left us at 16.

You never know, the vaccine manufacturers MAY bow to research and pressure again in time, and decide that the recommended vaccine durations are at least 5>7years, instead of the now 3 for the core diseases. After all, it wasn't so long ago they were pushing annual multi vaccines, so things MAY continue to change for the dogs' benefit?

Can you check out a homeopathic vet nearby for Peggy, the next time she is due in case they can prescibe thuja maybe? Sadly we don't have one near enough unless going for second opinions for more major illness rather than just vaccine advice.

All the best

Carole

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:40 pm

We do have a homeopathic vet but they are over an hours drive, so not idea if we had an emergency. My old vet has just moved back to the practice and she is very good, so I am happy with taking Peggy to her. Peg is 13 next month and I don't really want to put her through any more tests, we manage her problems well with diet and thyroxine.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:13 pm