Discussion relating to advanced courses on canine behaviour modification

UKRCB membership

Lisa

Re: UKRCB membership

Post  Lisa on Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Can you apply for student membership of APBC before finishing Ad Dip or once completed?

Lisa
    olwen

Post  olwen on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:15 pm

You can apply before you have finished but I beleive you have to complete to degree level in 5 yrs of student membership

Lisa

Post  Lisa on Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:00 pm

Thanks Olwen.

Lisa

Lisa

UKRCB Interview

Post  Lisa on Sat May 07, 2011 2:57 pm

So Carole,

How did it go?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I am just in the process of doing my application form.

Lisa

Last edited by Lisa on Sat May 07, 2011 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To add something.)
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Sun May 08, 2011 6:04 pm

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for asking.

So, you weren't the 'Lisa' I received an email in error from Robert then, with the reporting time of a morning interview on the 5th?!

Well, it went well I think. The interviewers were;
    Robert, Pat White (I know Pat), Elizabeth Kershaw and Sheila Hamilton-Andrews (in whose beautiful 'gate lodge' house they were held).

Mind you there were a couple of 'sticky' moments, one was when I think that they believed that I didn't know 'hyperthyroid from hypothyroid' (As I had included on my CV that I had owned a hyperthyroid dog). As with almost everyone else I mention this to, I had to explain that yes, I DO mean hyperthyroid and yes, I DO know it is very rare in dogs and we had to live with major behaviour changes with poor Rocky as a result of his condition. Can't blame them though, as it is rare after all!

Although I was pushing for 'Provisional' as I feel that I need the guidance/mentoring of their Education Officers when dealing with cases, I think they may offer Student level. Robert kept highlighting that I had not done much 'hands on' since moving here to Dorset to make up the required number of 'practical' hours. Although I had done over 10 years of practical 'hands on' at various Rescue Centres and Training clubs before moving, it didn't seem to count, as I have not been able to continue this over the last 2 years. Another thing is, apparently if you get accepted as 'Provisional' membership, they expect you to be almost continually sending cases to them for appraisal. Well, I only get about one every 2 months at present as there are a lot of APBC people around me. Mind you I am not sure anyone is continuously dealing with cases in today's economic climate?

A funny thing was, that they were keen to know what APBC members were in my area and who they were and had I any dealings with them, or know how clients find their consultations. Sheila kept checking the APBC site to check out the names I was aware of. Whether they were 'fishing' as to what the 'competition' was like I don't know?

I did ask them whether the UKRCB has anything planned to highlight their organisation to Vets/Rescue's etc so that people are aware of other 'Behaviour' organisations, but they didn't really answer that - apart from Robert suggesting I get clients happy with my consultations to tell their vets (IF they need to go back to their vet for whatever reason, otherwise the vet wouldn't get the feedback anyway?). Personally I think the APBC, give them their due, really know how to up their profile at present.

Well, watch this space as they say.

Robert stated that he will get back to me in a couple of weeks as they have to feedback and discuss with the other Board members. To be fair he then added that maybe he doesn't always meet his deadlines!!

Good luck for your application.

Regards

Carole

Lisa

Post  Lisa on Mon May 09, 2011 10:12 am

Hi Carole

No I never received an email!!

Glad it went well, how long did it last? Was it quite informal?

Yes do keep us updated when you hear anything, hope it's good news!

I am just waiting for the result on module 2 at the moment so thought I would get the forms sorted whilst not studying.

Lisa

Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Mon May 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Hi Lisa,

Yes it was quite informal, Sheila made me a nice cup of tea and there were various dogs wandering in & out all the time!

I found it easy enough, but as usual the 'reverse' journey was not as easy - I kept going round in circles as the SATNAV wanted to take me home via the M4 which was miles out of my way, as I can get home direct straight from the M3. I was getting fed up of coming across the same temporary roadworks so gave up with the SATNAV and trusted my own sense of direction and 'hey presto' got back on the M3 ok!

Ironically, after Robert & Pat giving me ideas on how to increase my 'practical' experience, I received a phone call the day after, from a small local Rescue organisation that I had sent my details to some weeks ago. The lady is asking me to visit (tomorrow) to assess and see if I can help a JRT they are having problems re-homing. If all goes well, she will put me on her list of local 'professionals' that she hands out to adopters. So, a step in the right direction then.

Yes, I will update when I hear.

Regards

Carole

Lisa

Post  Lisa on Tue May 10, 2011 12:24 pm

Oh that's a fab opportunity!!! Isn't it amazing how things just 'turn up'!

Just got mod 2 back, another A so really pleased!!

Lisa
    olwen

Post  olwen on Tue May 10, 2011 7:45 pm

Good Luck Carole. It sounds hopeful and not to scary.

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Sat May 21, 2011 10:34 am

Good luck Carole! What sort of questions did they ask you? Did you have to go into detail about how you would deal with various problems?
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Sun May 22, 2011 4:32 pm

Hi all,

Well, I had a phone call from Robert this morning to offer me Student membership of the UKRCB after my application was referred on to the other Board members cheers .

My sticking point was the fact that although I had attained the A.Dip CBM, due to moving here to Dorset I have had a couple of years out as it were from dog related activites/training/behaviour work, for various reasons.

So, the challenge is on now to get those cases in/under my belt. Robert did state that there is a good UKRCB forum for all member levels to post cases/questions/ideas etc so they can all gain knowledge from sharing such information. At least that will be a good start in lieu of the Education Officer 'mentoring' you get,once you are a Provisional member (mind you Student membership fees are also £100 cheaper - which is a BIG help for me being as I have just signed on at the Job Centre!!).

Chris,
    The questions as far as I can recall now, were about a couple of cases I had seen recently, what the problem behaviours were and what I 'diagnosed' as the causes and suggested action. Although I did take a lot of paperwork with me, they did not ask to see any case reports. Pat stated that veterinary involvement/referral was very important on any cases taken on.

Sheila also asked for an example of something that I had learned from my current course (I discussed the 'calming diet' & the various levels of Tryptophan in foods that I had researched - from the ACC 'Aggression' course). I also showed them a small study I had done in relation to Sound Therapy CD use for a dog with Seperation Distress, but I don't think they were too concerend on the data side of things, especially Robert. He said he leaves the Science to other people!

A lot of the start of the interview was spent talking about my previous dog's Hyperthyroid condition, being as they thought I maybe had got the name of the condition wrong! Plus as previously mentioned, they asked what APBC members were in my area and any dealings I had with them.

Well, over and done with now, Robert has now to forward all the paperwork. Just need to ply for some 'Behaviour' case trade now!

Regards

Carole

Lisa

Post  Lisa on Mon May 23, 2011 12:46 pm

That's good news Carole!!! Well done!

Lisa
    olwen

Post  olwen on Tue May 24, 2011 9:59 pm

WELL DONE cheers

What tips did they give you to get your behaviour work moving?
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Wed May 25, 2011 4:28 pm

Hi Olwen,

Well, the only thing really was Robert's example of what he used to do I.E;

If a client is happy with the service that you have provided,ask the clients to mention you to their vet the next time they visit. My only concern with that is, if the client does not need to visit the vet again for any clinical reason, then the next time they go could be up to a year maybe, depending upon when the annual check up is, unless any visits are required in the interim for whatever reason. Would the client remember to pass on the recommendation if too long after a consult/BMP instigated before they visit their vet?

Pat stated that a key thing would be to set up classes and try to offer things other clubs do not. I don't run classes, though I shall be looking soon for premises (I am too busy looking for a part time job and back & forth to the Job Centre/Learn Direct etc. at present!) so once these are set up, I can advertise that as well.

Once I get the paperwork, then I can amend my literature accordingly and redistribute to the local vets/Rescues. I am not that confident yet about actually introducing myself to vets until I have completed a few local cases - so catch 22 again? However, I have a very good friend here who is a dog walker/dog boarder and she likes to refer owners to me if she thinks it would be beneficial. In fact, most of my work so far has come this way. I may contact other dog walkers in the area just to let them know of my services (personally I would rather write to them, but most only advertise mobile numbers).

Advertising by putting cards in pet shops has not brought any interest in so far. I have written to a couple of the small local Rescues advising them that I offer a reduced price 'Rescue Dog' Training package for dogs that may not be suitable initially to take to classes, I may get some calls that way. I have already been told that I will be put on a list of 'professionals' given out to adopters, after visiting one of the charity personnel and a 'problem' JRT they have. Let's see if anything comes from that.

My vet has his own APBC Behaviourist (although the receptionist has steered a couple of clients my way!), another local vet has their preferred Behaviourist - Though I have heard that one of the practice vets is not keen on their 'preferred' person, but she is not the Head Vet so has no say really! Mind you, I make sure that I am available each year to help judge (along with this second vet practice's Head Vet)a local Pet Show my friend helps organize, so this Head Vet & I get to know each other and I leave my leaflets around for him to see!

There is another local Vet who has no Behaviourist, so I can resend my information to them once I can confirm the UKRCB.

Providing that any new job doesn't take all my time, I still have an option to volunteer at the local RSPCA and let it be known of the UKRCB membership there (They have an APBC Behaviourist that they will only refer cases to, or have deal with their dogs - on Head Office policy - Mind you I don't know what has happened there, but I was told recently that they have sent their receptionist on a Animal Behaviour BSc course to become their 'In House' Behaviourist, so something I could volunteer to help out with maybe time permitting?).

I would like to know though how the APBC have become the organisation of choice for many Vets/Rescue Orgs etc. I think that they must have a good PR person in charge as it were. Hopefully the UKRCB will begin to do some 'marketing' to make people aware they are another choice of accredited/approved professionals to the APBC?

So, not sure what else at present. Any suggestions would be welcome! One thing that I should do is get some-one to help me create a website as I have no idea where to start and I need one as cost-free as possible!

It will be interesting to see what is in the paperwork Robert is sending to me.

Regards,

Carole

Lisa

Post  Lisa on Thu May 26, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi Carole

Do a flyer, A5 is the best size. I print black on brightly coloured paper so it stands out on notice boards etc. Get it round to pet shops, vets, kennels, tack shops, feed merchants, etc etc etc.

Well worth thinking about yellow pages or yell.com.

With regards to a website, you can build a free website by going to webs.com I did mine in about 30 mins!!!! And I have NO website building experience. I have kept mine pretty basic, but add stuff every now and again.

You can then link this to any company websites you are attached to, mine is linked via yell.com and APDT.

Hope this helps!!

Lisa

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Fri May 27, 2011 9:58 am

Well done Carole. Keep plugging away! The classes, if you can set some up, will help. Word of mouth is the best and cheapest form of advertising. Websites are great, I get a lot through my website, they are not difficult to put together, I am not at all techy but I can keep mine up to date and change pages if I want to, have a look at the bottom of my emails on the APDT forum there is a link there. Vets are good to have on side so if you can't get them for behaviour to begin with you may be able to get them to refer to you for training. Making friends with pets shops helps as well, if they like you they will refer. Send clients to specific pet shops to buy equipment/food and ask them to say you recommended is a good way to make friends. Visit all the local kennels as well and ask if they will advertise you. They should have close contact with the owners of dogs they look after and if they have a dog with problems they might suggest seeing you.

Don't know what your financial situation is but if you can, instead of looking for a part time job why don't you give yourself a month to really promote yourself in the area. You might find that you can build up a business so you don't have to work part time Very Happy

Good luck!
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Fri May 27, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the advice/ideas.

I have done some of the things suggested, good idea re: referring clients to the pet shops I have been in and had chats with. Its amazing when the brain doesn't always put these things together sometimes!! Must be my age.

One kennels had their own favoured person they refer to (as it is a friend). There are some others around, I will try them.

I know what you mean about making time to do the legwork. Bills to be paid etc force me to concentrate on getting a part-time job as hubby will be out of work soon also. Mind you, if no part time job by then, I have decided to take a couple of months out to try to set things up 'dog wise'.

I am tied up running around doing stuff the Job Centre want me to do,applying for jobs for the sake of it that obviously don't suit! If I am on JobSeekers Allowance I can get a free Computer course to learn stuff like excel and powerpoint which I don't really know. I thought they would be good to know anyway for the 'Dog Stuff'also. Mind you I found out last week that the 'Newcastle' Work & Pensions Office have lost my claim back from 1st April. SO, I have to fill in all the forms again!!!

Oh yes, plus the ACC Aggression course....Unit 4 has fallen by the wayside long ago!!

I thought life was supposed to get easier as you got older..ha ha Rolling Eyes

Carole
    olwen

Post  olwen on Sat May 28, 2011 7:08 pm

If you tell JCP you are working to set up your own busines they usually bend over backwards to help you with stuff, and you can include it on your list of things that you are doing to find a job each week. Laughing

I was at a talk by Wendy Volhard, Shelia was one of the organisers, first time I've met her. Most of the people there were UKRCB . She said it was lovely to see visitors and hoped we would think about membership.
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Sun May 29, 2011 8:03 pm

Hi Olwen,

Thanks for the info. The JCP do know I am self-employed as a dog training/behaviour business and trying to expand by finding a premises. I have to fill out 'time sheets' each fortnight for my 'dog work' and my 3hrs I get paid by Dorset Council for my Library job. Three different people have been told of the dog business, but nothing mentioned to me apart from asking what I have been doing to advertise it. Maybe I will push for more support next week when I go, being as they lost all my registration paperwork Mad

It is interesting also that you met Sheila at a talk by Wendy Volhard. At my interview when I told them of the research I had done in to the levels of tryptophan in protein & carbs, Sheila told me I was incorrect in my conclusions. However, for Sheila's information I emailed her the source of my research, just to explain then why I may have been confused at her comments!! To be fair, she was magnanimous enough to email me back stating that I may have been correct and she would ask Wendy about it when she saw her and let me know what Wendy thought. Apparently Sheila had not taken in to account Fish in her research.

So, all going to apply then to the UKRCB? I do think that there is a great deal of opportunity for them to increase their ranks, with a bit of marketing/advertising within the 'Dog World'. I wonder in years to come, how many people will be able to afford to do the Animal Behaviour degrees when the fees no doubt shoot up next year?

I like the way they are open to all, degree or no degree - though I know that the intended minimum self-regulated industry qualification for Behaviour work is going to be a level 6/degree by 2020. So it will be interesting to see what higher academic qualifcations the UKRCB may opt for with regards to membership requirements. I'll probably be too old to worry about it by then though!!

Thanks again

Carole

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Mon May 30, 2011 9:42 am

Its hard Carole isn't it when there are those bills hanging over your head. I am so fed up here - the drains are all blocked up so the kennel yard is flooding, my landlord was around this morning so I spoke to him about it. Well, its never done that before! No, I thought only every time we have heavy rainfall, at least for the last 7 years we have lived here! I am desperate to move on, leave the kennels and have a job where I'm not on call 24/7. Advanced driving on 16th June so keep your fingers crossed for me! Then the instruction module to do and once I've passed that I am fully fledged ADI and can think about leaving this place. I can also build up my training and behaviour work as well which is suffering due to lack of time.

Anyway, keep at it Carole and you'll get there in the end!

Chris jocolor
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Mon May 30, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi Chris,

Appreciate the encouragement. You sound as if you deserve a break for the down sides of life at the moment!! Will definately will keep the fingers, toes & Jody's paws crossed for the 16th, not long now and maybe on to pastures new for you!!

Thats the good thing about the ADI/Driving Instructor work, you should be able to transfer your skills anywhere? Always people wanting to learn to drive, despite the cost of petrol & insurance!:-). Would be no good for me, I haven't driven a manual car since I passed back in '84 - went straight into automatics!

Regards

Carole

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:50 am

Thanks for the luck Carole! Just can't wait to get back to learning about dogs!

Lisa

Post  Lisa on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi guys

Well finally finished application forms and emailed them to Rob yesterday. Got an email today confirming receipt and saying that it had been forwarded to the board and he would contact me. He did say this could take a few weeks.

Lisa

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:44 pm

~Well done Lisa and Good Luck!!!
    Very Happy
    Chris
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:37 pm

Well done Lisa!

Good to know that Robert's computer is working again, it had gone down a few weeks ago when he rang to tell me that I had been accepted by the Board, and.....that he would send me the relevant paperwork.....still waiting, must be all those 'computer repairs' that have waylaid him. Shall send an email as that is back on air now!flower

Carole

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:35 pm