Discussion relating to advanced courses on canine behaviour modification

Summer almost over

Admin
    Admin

Summer almost over

Post  Admin on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:57 pm

Hi Everyone, Feeling guilty I haven't been around, but then it doesn't seem as though many have! Busy summer for all.

I have been trekking up and down the motorways most weekends with the horsebox to polocrosse tournaments. We had national champs last weekend so everything will slow down now and I can get back to dogs!

Just got to get James settled into Bishop Burton on Monday then Rebecca into Hull Uni at the end of the month and I will have my life back completely!

Hope you have all managed to get some work done? Laughing

Chris
    olwen

Re: Summer almost over

Post  olwen on Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:21 am

I pop in from time to time but mostly I have my nose in a book study

Does anyone else think that "Medulla Oblongata" sounds like a Harry Potter spell?

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:00 pm

Definitely!!!
    wolfgsd

Post  wolfgsd on Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:59 am

Def a busy summer. Done more flyball tournaments this year than I have ever done, and we've finally got a sub 22 second team Smile

Completed all but the final module of my Compass course.

Chris will you be coming to the Polocrosse thing at BB next year?

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:11 am

Yes Pauline, I will be there, in fact I am helping organise it. At least the entertainment side of it - if I ever get any prices for the various arenas.

We should have a good line up, I've hopefully got jousting, trick riding, a team show jumping competition, pentathlon, Rally O comp. Looking for some dog display teams. Also looking to get some top names from horse and dog world to do workshops and demos. Nothing defo yet.

We've got teams confirmed from NZ, Aus, SA, Zim, Zam, USA, Eire and of course UK. We were 2nd at the last WC in Aus in 2007 which was brilliant as were were seeded around 5/6.

I need to get in touch with Justine Baker to discuss the doggy elements.

Just trying to find time!
    olwen

Post  olwen on Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:22 pm

The polocrosse event sounds interesting.

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:48 pm

Its going to be a showcase event Olwen, I hope! Very exciting for the polocrosse world.
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:36 pm

Only just getting back into checking out the forum.

Yes been busy (working mainly).

Dog has had x-rays (dodgy hip & lax cruciate...2 years old so not the best news but no meds needed and he is doing very well, so I think it is trouble potentially brewing for the future!).

I seem to have come out in sympathy lately (Apparently I have 'tennis elbow' and 'policemans heel'!! - I neither play tennis nor work as a policeman!!Smile as I have sprained tendons in elbow (over-enthusiastic gardening) AND foot (no idea how. Too much dog walking and on feet all the time working in the Library I dare say). Physio next week.

Still ploughing on re: ACC 'Canine Aggression' course.

Polocrosse.... yes I meant to check it out last year, never made it. Hopefully next year if any in Dorset/Hants area. When does the season finish/start?

Regards

Carole

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:54 pm

Tennis elbo - can sympathise there. What on earth is policeman's heel?!!!

Polocrosse over for this season. Unfortunately it tends to die after National Champs at August Bank Holiday. There is often training through the winter but no tournaments. Training starts in earnest at Easter and first tournies around May.

No tournaments in your area but there is a club called Solent based in Hampshire. Most tournaments in the south (at least south to me) Henley in Arden, Kent, Essex, Rugby, possibly one near Aylesbury next year. Others Doncaster, Wales and Northumberland.

It would be great to see you there!
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:02 pm

'Policeman's heel' apparently aka 'planar faciitis'

Not a dropped arch as such, but strained or weakened tendons in the arch of the foot that cause (sometimes excruciating!) pain in the heel. I think exercises and special insole supports will be the plan. Trust me to get these things just as I applied to volunteer at local RSPCA, as they want a doctor's letter to say all ok from a previous back problem, years ago! Will delay Doctor's letter I think until I can 'plod' on normally and should I ever wish to, take up tennis!!

The library work is dropping off after October, so with only the dog to walk then, hopefully all will clear up in the next couple of months. Neutral

Carole

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:38 pm

ouch! that sounds painful.

Library work?

I have just taken on the APDT Library, not too much work, but difficult to get anything done! As I catalogue books I just want to read them!

The nutrition question which I thought I had finished on Module 2 (although, as you know from the relative topic I'm not happy with) is changing every day as I read more and more! Perhaps I'll ban myself from opening a book until I send it off?

Chris
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:45 pm

I think you're right Chris about not reading anymore until you send Mod 2 off. Same here I think.

And when you think of it, I wonder if the very small aspects of a diet that we may be researching, at the end of the day, really do effect behaviour that much for each and every case (unless there is an obvious recurring pattern or culprit ingredient)? Most judgements of any behaviour changes may in essence, be on the owner/trainer/behaviourist's observation, perception, personal experience of own dogs' behaviour and diet, or even to some extent personal bias or beliefs (concious or not) confused

Maybe I should just use the above and leave it at that!!

Well done for taking on the APDT library. I found it the best £15 ever spent when researching for my previous courses. I donated a load of books that needed to move over for later/new additions a few years ago.
    Regards

Carole

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:02 pm

Hi Carole.I think you may be right. We all know diet is important, but a good diet without a groundwork in training, consistency and effective management will not make any difference to behavour.

I have added a paragraph to the effect at the end of my answer to this question.

The library is interesting in that many of the books are requested again and again and some just sit on the shelf! Well done you for donating.

Chris

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:06 pm