Discussion relating to advanced courses on canine behaviour modification

Introductions for Members

Admin
    Admin

Introductions for Members

Post  Admin on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:10 am

Hi, my name is Christine Stansfield. I live near Malton, North Yorkshire with my husband, two children (Rebecca 18 and James 16), three dogs (Peggy - weimaraner, 12; Bramble -collie cross rescue c11; Beth - Welsh Springer, 4), 2 cats (Ellie and Tammy) and 4 horses. I spend much of the summer in the horsebox ferrying the kids and horses around to polocrosse training and tournaments.

I run a canine business offering behaviour, training, boarding, grooming, walking services with my husband. I have been working as a dog trainer for the last 9 years and have the HNC CBT. I am a member of the APDT.

Just about to start the ADipCM with Compass and am looking forward to it but am a bit apprehensive as the little grey cells don't work as well as they used to!

Also looking forward to getting to know some like minded people on the forum. Very Happy
    olwen

Re: Introductions for Members

Post  olwen on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:58 am

Hi

My name is Olwen. I have just started the ADipCBM course. I am currently running dog training classes and find that there is a lot of crossover between what people think is training and what they think is a behaviour problem.

I get the two ends of the extreme from "Can I bring my dog training as s/he's agressive to people" to the "I need you to come and help with my 10 week old puppy who won't come back when I call him"

My family has always had dogs although at the moment I am dogless; I lost my boy last May and as I work full time I am not in a postition to be bringing up a new dog. I do have a horse who I train to eat carrots! Both Thor (horse) and Cam (dog) set me on the path to finding better ways to train animals.

The reason I am doing the course is to up my knowledge. I plan to use the qualification as a springboard to running a behaviour consultation business as well as topping it up to a BSc. I am finding that as my name is getting out there more and more people are asking for help.

Chris

Hiya

Post  Chris on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:39 pm

Hope none of you mind me joining as I'm not studying anything at the moment but do have a passion for learning Smile

I'm Chris (as the username suggests). I have an HNC in Canine Behaviour and Training (and through this met the other Chris who set up the forum - hiya Chris). I also have a BSc (Hons) in Animal Behaviour and Training - both gained at Bishop Burton College.

I've now reluctantly retired from training and behaviour work following an injury (tripping over my dog - how embarrassing is that?), but so some (very) part-time work as Academic Consultant for Hull University overseeing some dog/animal related courses. Sounds a lot grander than it is, but I just love anything to do with study and learning, particularly where dogs and animals are concerned.

I only have one dog now - Sam, a border collie who is 14 and is in the late stages of the winter of his life bless him. It will crucify me when he decides enough is enough as he is my 'special' boy, but his arthritis and HD is bad and a couple of recent bouts of vestibular disease have taken their toll pale

Anyways, enough about me. Look forward to offering opinions where I can and hope that those doing courses all do well.

Lisa

Post  Lisa on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi, I am Lisa, I live in Smallfield, Surrey with my boyfriend, 2 cats, 1 dog and 2 koi.

I am a member of the APDT and a Tellington TTouch Companion Animal Practitioner. I have run my dog training and behaviour business for almost 6 years.

I am not currently enrolled on a course, but very interested in learning and sharing knowledge.

Look forward to the discussions.

Lisa

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:19 pm

Great to see you all, Chris of course we want you on here! Lets hope we get some more members and then we can get the discussions started. Haven't registered with Compass yet, will do so after Easter.

Julie

Hello

Post  Julie on Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:26 pm

Hi to all.
    I am Julie and along with my Husband run a canine services business in lewes Sussex. We home board, day creche, walk and have a licence for transportation. I am a practicing member of Into Dogs and cant tell you how good it is to have a forum to talk about resources for courses.
    I have completed my ocn level 2 and 3 in canine behviour and handling skills level 2. I was in the middle of doing Canine nutrition as distance learning when my course provider went into liquidation so a the moment unsure as to where this leaves me.
    I have been looking at the compass courses and hope that I maybe able to do the higher diploma but have also noticed a simillar course avalible on http://www.animal-job.co.uk/animal-care-courses.html and would be pleased if anyone can share their views and experiances.
    Well thats me look forward to chatting.
    Smile

shepherdess

Re: Welcome to the forum

Post  shepherdess on Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:40 pm

I am Muriel Coates and have just started studying the Adip CBM course. I am working through the first module. I haven't done any studying for quite a while so it is taking me some time to get into it. I am a member of the APDT and run dog training classes. I have 3 dogs of my own, 2 GSD's one is nearly 12yrs and the other nearly 11yrs. I also have a 10 month old Leonberger puppy. I have just started showing with the puppy, I wanted to try something I hadn't done before and I am really enjoying it. I am not very good with computers and forums so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I have pressed the right button to place this post and that it turns up in the right place!.
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:03 pm

Hi, I'm Carole Tindall. I live in Verwood, Dorset, with hubby and just the one dog now (Jody). We moved here a year ago from West London with 2 mixed breed Rescue dogs, but unexpectedly and sadly both had to be 'pts' not long after we moved. So, the new dog on the block has only been here just under 3 months - an 18month Dobie/Rottie type mix from the DogsTrust. Was a stray, not trained and he has discovered all sorts of wildlife to chase in his new home - so its back on the lead for his Recall training I think! Boy is it hard work starting from scratch with training a new dog, but we'll get there.

I completed the A.Dip CBM in 2007, was hard work but worth it. I have also completed the Animal Care College set of courses from which you gain the 'Diploma in Canine Psychology' (used to be the Diploma in Advanced Canine Psychology but I guess that sounded as if it was the dogs that were advanced!). I am thinking of doing another ACC course (Aggression). I have assisted and taken Pet Dog classes prior to moving (including at the DogsTrust - for DT dogs only, now that was a challenge,but I loved it!). I have never competed in any canine discipline but managed somehow to train our last Rescue dog to GC gold and was a volunteer at a few Rescue Centres for about 10years. As I am new to the area I am having to establish myself from scratch, so have just done a few 1>1 Training visits by word of mouth. I am not really in a position to set up classes, so hope the 1>1's pan out. My day job is in a Library (well part time) and I am starting to 'review' some of the dog training books they have on offer, so I can guide any clients in the right direction!

I am looking forward to future discussions. Thanks Chris for setting it up.

Regards

Carole

lance
    Admin

Post  lance on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:09 pm

Hi I'm Derek Lance and I hope I've posted this in the correct place as I'm what is called,I believe, ' a silver surfer' i.e. I am 77 years old and I have had to catch up with modern technology.
    So, as you can guess, I am retired. I was a teacher and lecturer for fifteen years and then a Catholic priest for twenty seven years mainly as a University Chaplain. Now I live by myself but with my companion 'Chip' - a rescue Border Collie Cross. I adopted him, picked up as a stray,from Maxicare Rescue in 2002 when he was estimated to be 1 year old. I had two dogs before him - Susie/Biffin (rehomed crossbreed)and then Emma (smooth coated Border Collie,from a family breakup and needing a new home). At present I am half way through Compass course Higher Certificate Cynology. (That's the one before the Adv.Dip.CBM.) I'm not doing this with a view to working as Dog trainer/Behaviourist,but to understand Chip and other dogs better to deal with his problems and training and to keep my brain active and go on learning. I have an M.A from Cambridge (History)fifty years ago and also Cert Ed. (teacher's qualification)and I've never stopped studying since then -Philosophy. theology. Now it is fascinating to study a scientific subject Dog/animal behaviour. I am involved with Wiccaweys (BC rescue)and my studies have led me to animal welfare, so that through Compass I have become a member of Institute for Animal Care Education and Student Fellow of Zoolgical Society London and then member of Viva and Animal Aid and Catholic Concern for Animals. One result of all this is that I have now become a Vegan.I have learnt so much from members of the APDT forum and Wiccaweys forum and I look forward to learning more, too, from fellow members of this forum. My motto is 'You're never too old to learn, nor too experienced to try something new.'
    olwen

Post  olwen on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:58 pm

Julie wrote:
    I have been looking at the compass courses and hope that I maybe able to do the higher diploma but have also noticed a simillar course avalible on http://www.animal-job.co.uk/animal-care-courses.html and would be pleased if anyone can share their views and experiances.
    Well thats me look forward to chatting.
    Smile

Hi Julie

I've just looked at that link and the course is the ADipCBM that Compass do. I'm not sure how Animal Job are hosting it but it's more expensive through them.

kiriaman

Post  kiriaman on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:21 pm

Hello
    My name is Amanda, I have two lovely little scotties Hamish & fergus and am about to add an Airedale terrier to the mix so quite excited. I am in my 3rd year at Bishop Burton foundation degree in canine training & behaviour, has been much hard work but also an incredible invaluable learning experience. I have assisted in local dog training school and am thinking by the summer I might just start some classes and 121's myself, and also start to prepare for APDT assessment as this is next on my list :O)
    I look forward to 'chatting' with you all and learning lots more Smile

ukpackleader

Post  ukpackleader on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:25 pm

Hi, My name is Jason. I live in Rochdale, Lancashire, and I run a canine behaviour and training business covering the North West Area. I am registered through INTO dogs association.

I have a certificate in canine psychology and I am also a qualified canine first aid responder.

I am in the process of enrolling for the compass ADipCBM course.

I have 2 dogs of my own, one collie/lab mix and he will be 5 in 2 weeks, and my other dog is a chocolate lab aged 18 months.

It is great to be on a forum with other like minded people, and I am looking forward to discussing different topics with you all. study

Jason

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:49 am

ukpackleader wrote:Hi, My name is Jason. I live in Rochdale, Lancashire, and I run a canine behaviour and training business covering the North West Area. I am registered through INTO dogs association.
    Jason

Hi Jason, welcome to the forum. I have just had a look at the INTO dogs site, it looks very interesting. How long have you been a member, do you feel it benefits you? Do you have a forum where you can all discuss cases etc?

I am a member of the APDT which always helps with credibility!
    Chris
    Judzia

Re: Introductions and Welcomes

Post  Judzia on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:32 am

Hi my name is Lisa and I own a Collie cross. I am on module 12 of the Compass ADipCBM course - so I'm on the final leg now. I've thoroughly enjoyed the course although it has been alot of hard work. I am not currently working with dogs but I plan to do so in the near future.

Admin
    Admin

Hi Lisa

Post  Admin on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:43 am

Hi Lisa, so you are on the last leg, wish I was! Hope you enjoy taking part in the forum.

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:15 am

Have moved the posts regarding organisations to a new forum "Training and Behaviour Organisations"
    wolfgsd

Post  wolfgsd on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:48 am

Hi
    I'm Pauline, another one that has a HNC in canine behaviour and training. I'm currently trying t complete my AdvDipCBT but never find the time as I'm a lecturer myself (lovely to see some of my students already here Smile

Have a large pack of dogs including GSDs, RBT, SWDs and JRTs and have recently added a wocker into the mix. Flyball and gundog work are my main loves at the moment, but when I have more time I'd love to get back into working trials.

Don't have an awful lot of time to train other peopels dogs any more as I decided I wanted to concentrate on my own, but have co-delivered my first gundog weekend course which I really enjoyed and am now dabbling in writing training books.

pauline

Chris

Post  Chris on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:13 pm

Hiya Pauline Smile
    wolfgsd

Post  wolfgsd on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:50 pm

hiya Chris

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:05 am

Hi Pauline. Is that the Compass course you are doing?

did you ever come across Suzanne Plum when you were doing working trials?
    wolfgsd

Post  wolfgsd on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:17 am

yes it is the Compass course Chris. I know of Suzanne plum but have never met her. Why?

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:58 am

She is running classes near Scarborough, working trials and agility. I went along one Tuesday morning with Beth but I felt a bit like a fish out of water and it was really embarassing because everyone kept whispering "that's Christine Stansfield"! Which I suppose should have been quite a compliment, but I felt as though I was on show and any mistakes I made were judged!

As you know, little Beth has her issues with people and the woman would keep crowding her even though I kept asking her to back off. Beth will do any A frame/dog walk we come across but when it was our turn to do a tiny A frame in prep for the scale the woman insisted on standing by it and Beth wouldn't go near. So then I got, well it is a new environment etc etc!!! Was going to go back and give it another try as it was all positive training, no aversives so good in that way, but didn't know if I could put up with the people!!!

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:59 am

It does keep underlining doesn't it, I wonder why?

Chris

Post  Chris on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:11 pm

The underlining is to put automatic ads in. If you hover above one of the underlined words, it will show the advertisement attached to it. It's how the free forum hosting pays for itself

Chris

Post  Chris on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:14 pm

Admin wrote:She is running classes near Scarborough, working trials and agility. I went along one Tuesday morning with Beth but I felt a bit like a fish out of water and it was really embarassing because everyone kept whispering "that's Christine Stansfield"! Which I suppose should have been quite a compliment, but I felt as though I was on show and any mistakes I made were judged!

As you know, little Beth has her issues with people and the woman would keep crowding her even though I kept asking her to back off. Beth will do any A frame/dog walk we come across but when it was our turn to do a tiny A frame in prep for the scale the woman insisted on standing by it and Beth wouldn't go near. So then I got, well it is a new environment etc etc!!! Was going to go back and give it another try as it was all positive training, no aversives so good in that way, but didn't know if I could put up with the people!!!

Dark glasses and big hat required Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:32 pm