Discussion relating to advanced courses on canine behaviour modification

Hi

reggiedog

Hi

Post  reggiedog on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:49 am

Hi everyone
    I am Angela Pitman, I live in Chester and have run a Pet Dog training club for just over 15 yrs which started as a hobby and slowly took over my life!
    I have done several courses through the Animal Care College (Understanding the Canine/Human Interface & Behaviour Modification for Professionals), I have been a member of APDT since 1996 and am halfway through module 4 of Compass Ad.Dip Canine Behaviour Management.
    I have two Jack Russell terriers at the moment but have previously had JRTs and a JRT x Basset Fauve de Bretagne not including the vast range of rescue dogs I was brought up with.

I am really looking forward to sharing thoughts with others on similar courses.

Angela Smile
    olwen

Re: Hi

Post  olwen on Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:07 pm

Hi Smile

I'm doing the same course and am on module 2. Finding it ok but frustrating to have to check for a source for every peice of information I have learnt.

How have you found it?

reggiedog

Post  reggiedog on Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi Olwen

I agree, I found that really hard to begin with and the most time consuming part, having never used any type of referencing before it worried me that I would make a mess of it but I have a friend who went over the first question I did and explained what I needed to do and why, - I couldn't just put down "dogs learn to do things in a certain way because...." I had to put down 'who says so'? when did they say this? what where they doing when they discovered this etc pale I almost scared my self out of the course fees and gave in before I had started.
    wolfgsd

Post  wolfgsd on Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:05 pm

Hi Angela

I'm doing the same course as you, but I'm on module 10. The plan is to have the course finished by Sept as I want to move on to another course (MSc) if it runs.

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:32 am

Hi Angela and welcome to the forum. I hope you find it useful. I can never get my head round Harvard referencing and every time I want to refer to something I have to look it up again! I am hoping to start the Compass Ad Dip when I have finally finished the ACC aggression course. Almost finished module 2, got into it again on Friday, and the aim is to finish it this week so I can start reading for the next module while sunning myself by the pool in France next week!

Chris
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:25 am

Hi Angela,

I know as with others on the forum how much experience you have in the world of dogs/training etc. How nice to have you on the forum.

I agree, the referencing took up an awful lot of time (and double, double checking after comments on my Mod 1 = 'lack of references'!). The Havard method and referencing in general needs a short course all of its own I think!

I completed my A.Dip CBM in 2007, so these discussions are a great opportunity for me to go dust off the files and go back over the work. The ACC do seem to re-name the courses/qualifications don't they? The Dip in Advanced Canine Psychology I did (the successor of the 'Interface' course?) This has now been renamed the 'Diploma in Canine Psychology'!

Good luck.

I'm not sure about Chris's comments about sunning herself in France though - Dogs, studies, training etc = holidays. I didn't think that was compatible behaviour?
    Have a nice time Chris!

Regards

Carole
    olwen

Post  olwen on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:59 pm

It would be interesting to know how much,if at all the ADipCBM has changed since 2007.

In module 2 you can tell it was written by David Montgomery because of the remarks made about dominance and the chimp joke from Ian Dunbar, but at the 2009 conference he was firmly putting a foot in both camps. I was there and have the transcript so am going to use it! study

reggiedog

Post  reggiedog on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:27 pm

Hi All

Many thanks for making me feel so welcome on the forum, I haven't had a chance yet to go through the forum fully and have a look at other threads, but from what I have seen so far I am going to enjoy being a member of this one, so many like minded people Smile

Chris - sunning yourself in France AND studying sunny Shocked now THAT is dedication, I always promise to do things like that but can't seem to manage to get any real work done.

Carole T - How did it feel knowing you were handing in your final module? I am so looking forward to that day, I am happy with my marks so far but am aware that it has taken longer than I had hoped but after speaking to both my tutor and David Montgomery they have both assured me that it is an average time I am working in so will keep writing away.
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:18 pm

Hi Angela,

Module 12 - well... it took me at least 3 months to do (maybe more!). I had Sheila Bailey as the tutor, I had to ring her first to ensure that I understood what was required and then submit the first 2 cases (12 'case sudies' in the module) and wait for them to be returned. This was to ensure that I was on the right track before submitting all 12.

It was very hard work for me, as I had no experience of conducting Behaviour cases and went into it 'blind', as to what was required really. Plus one case in particular I had a bit of a problem in the way I interpreted some of the information given (Annie the BC).However, it was SUCH a sense of achievement being able to study to that level (speaking as one with only a few 'O' levels to her name!) and although I found Shiela a tutor very hard to get many 'positive' comments from, I still managed an 'A'. I had some very encouraging and positive comments from David Montgomery when he emailed me with the pass mark. I was thrilled when I finally got my Diploma certificate through the post and it was a 'Distinction', all the hard work was worth it. I know what you mean about it taking longer than expected, I took about 2months per module (exc #12!) but that was my choice, so as not to put too much pressure on myself and it worked for me.

Olwen - It's difficult to know if the course has changed since 2007, it doesn't seem to have done so far from the comments on the modules posted to date.

Regards

Carole
    olwen

Post  olwen on Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:09 am

I'm looking forward to final module too.

I do a few consults and hopefully that will help, also as part of the Think Dog there was a video of a "problem" dog that had to have a consult.

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:07 pm

Well, back from the sun and vin. I took the books with me, but have to admit I didn't open them! Slap on wrist! So, now when I've caught up with the washing, ironing and jungle around the kennel yard and garden I'd better set to and catch up!

Chris

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:46 pm