Discussion relating to advanced courses on canine behaviour modification

Answering questions

olwen

Answering questions

Post  olwen on Sat May 01, 2010 9:33 pm

Some of the questions are "give an example of " and there are a couple I have answered from my observations and experience. For instance Q6 I used the counter conditioning for a dog I had who was nervous of men. Q12 I am using a new dog on the farm who within a couple of days following the other dogs sussed out that my car meant cuddles and treats.

Q10 has me a bit stumped. I can give examples of all 4 types of reinforcement and/or punishment but do I need to cite anywhere that says food is a positive reinforcer etc?

Thanks Smile
    Carole.T

Re: Answering questions

Post  Carole.T on Sun May 02, 2010 5:09 pm

Hi Olwen,

I didn't provide any reference examples within my answers for Q10, - but I dare say citing any references will be a bonus, as it shows where you have researched to validate your examples. I dare say that I would have gained extra marks for module 1 had I provided such information maybe. I got a B+ on module 1 but my record card comments did metnion that;
    "The answers you gave could have benefitted from expansion with reference examples. It is very(underlined)important at this level of study."

Therefore I would say, if in doubt, providing additional information and references to suppport work is better than falling short on the marks by omitting information.

I am happy to share my failings in my grades! I got B+ for modules 1 & 2. As they were the first and the ones you find your feet with, along with what is required by the tutors, I was more than happy with B+ at this level of study. My personal challenge then was to get A's (- / straight / +)!!

Good luck

Carole
    olwen

Post  olwen on Sun May 02, 2010 9:22 pm

Thanks Carole

After I posted I thought about emaiing the tutor. She replied with pretty much the same reply as you've made. She said that being able to show own experience was good but referencing is important at this level so what I have done is to reference

Something good starting is the dog learning through positive reinforcement (Donaldson (2008)). The most common positive reinforcer in use is food.

She did say that I didn't need to reference the use of food as it's generally accepted.

I am stumped on Q13 - Latent Learning. I know that it is when a dog learns something but the knowledge is not immediately expressed and no obvious reinforcement has taken place. But I can't think of any examples and am having trouble finding something in my books. I have gone through 10 books today, obviously missing something.

Thinking of leaving the example for now and coming back to it when I am happy with everything else. I have spent the best part of today going nutty!

Chris

Post  Chris on Mon May 03, 2010 9:33 am

http://www.whfreeman.com/college/pdfs/griggs/Griggs_CH04.pdf

Think latent learning is covered toward the end (page 30).

lance
    Admin

Post  lance on Mon May 03, 2010 10:38 am

See DOGWISE John Fisher, 1992. pp.57-58.section headed 'Latent Learning'
    Fisher, in this book describes how he, with the dog's handler, trained a police dog to the required Police dog standard, but by using 'force free methods' and rewards. i.e. instead of the force and punishment methods usually employed in police dog training.
    So this book gives you anactual example of latent learning.

p.s. also see section headed 'The Process of Learning' pp.114-117

Last edited by lance on Mon May 03, 2010 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : p.s.added)
    olwen

Post  olwen on Mon May 03, 2010 1:16 pm

Thanks for the replies Smile

I don't have Dogwise but am going to have a look at the PDF. I've been doing a lot of reading on critial periods and how if the dog hasn't been exposed to people by 14 weeks old it remains afraid but that even a short exposure can set it up for life.

Chris

Post  Chris on Mon May 03, 2010 1:33 pm

A good (and probably the most credible) reference for that can be found in Scott and Fuller's "Genetics and the Social Behaviour of the Dog"
    olwen

Post  olwen on Tue May 04, 2010 3:14 pm

That's where I got it from. I was secondary citing their work so much that I had to buy a copy.
    olwen

Post  olwen on Mon May 17, 2010 6:54 pm

Thanks for your hints and tips. I just got my marked assignment back and it was an A Laughing

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Tue May 18, 2010 12:53 pm

Well done Olwen. I am feeling very frustrated. life has taken over at the moment and I don't have time to do any studying. I keep picking up a book, writing a few lines in the aggression course I am still trying to complete and then something happens and I have to leave it!
    olwen

Post  olwen on Tue May 18, 2010 1:13 pm

That is so annoying! Life has a way of getting in the way.
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Tue May 18, 2010 5:48 pm

Well done Olwen, that is a fantastic start.
    We want nothing less than an 'A' from now on then!!

Chris,
    I know what you mean, you have to be in a position to devote your whole life to studying when starting these course don't you? Apart from no money at present, I keep dithering which course to do to 'upgrade' my ACC diploma to the Advanced Diploma - but every week Jody throws up a new training/behaviour challenge for me it seems - Rescue dogs eh? Certainly a 'mystery tour' wouldn't say magical though sometimes!!

Regards

Carole

ukpackleader

Answering question 11 compass moule 1

Post  ukpackleader on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:11 am

Hi All, I hope everyone is well.

I am at a stumbling block at the moment. I have been workng through my compass module 1 adv.dip cbm and i have come to question 11, "using examples explain what is meant by biological factors"

I have searched the internet, looked through my books for examples and i am unable to fnd any, I have just gone blank.

Am I looking too in depth at this question?

Or can anyone offer any guidance to biological factors?

Jason

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:46 am

Hi Jason, how about genes, chromosomes, hormones? I would say they are the biological factors in thinking about behaviour. What does everyone else think?
    olwen

Post  olwen on Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:13 pm

I'll have a look when I get home I vaguely remember a comment being made about what I wrote.
    olwen

Post  olwen on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:43 pm

Just had a look, I concentrated on genetics but the comments said that health and hormones should have been included.
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:04 am

Hi Jason,

By the term 'biological factors', looking back on my work it seems this covers aspects such as;

Genetic: E.G. Behaviour traits through selective breeding (Terriers prone to digging behaviour for example, whereas if digging behaviour was carried out by a sighthound, this would not be deemed normal behaviour)

Physical limitations: Again usually through selective breeding (E.G. Long ears of a Bloodhound are not as physically conformed as say the upright ears of a BC to enable as fast response to vocal commands such as Recall (though in this example the independence of the breed also doesn't help re: Recalls!)

Motor Patterns: Again selective breeding has an influence on which of the motor patterns a particular breed will display (E.G. A BC may only utilise the Eye>Stalk>Chase of the complete range found in dogs of 'oreint>eye>stalk>chase>grab-bite>kill-bite'?

This was one of my less complete answers in Module 1 however! The tutor added factors such as: Health, Age, Maturation and Hormonal state - but alas, no examples!

Maybe these include such issues as autoimmune disorders, thyroid imbalances, hip dysplasia, arthitis, hormonal changes as the dog moves into puberty, bitches reproductive cycles (inc 'false pregnancies?)????

Module 2 deals with the 'nuts & bolts' details of genetics and evolution, while Module 3 deals with the biochemistry of the brain, mechanics of the central nervous system etc.

So maybe 'biological' factors are those that are observable and/or physically diagnosable?

Do something else for a while then come back to it, once you are back in the right mental 'flow!!

Good luck and let us know how your Mod 1 results go.

Carole
    olwen

Post  olwen on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:03 pm

the going away and coming back to it is something I do a lot. I type all the questions then answer them or make notes along the way until I am happy with my thoughts.

There are some good biological factors in your reply Carole

What books would you recommend for module 3? I have one on neuropsycology and I have vet notes for dog owners.

ukpackleader

Post  ukpackleader on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:58 pm

Thank you for the replies.

lance
    Admin

Post  lance on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:49 pm

I see that genetics/evolution/inherited traits is mentioned in these posts about this module. And I recall that in another thread someone spoke of some knowledge of genetics being needed to answer some questions.
    I found a very helpful source about genetics -artificial and natural selection and also domestication with specific treatment of genetics and domestication in dogs.

This source is from the Open University and you can view it, download it and print it even if you are not registered with the OU

Go to http://openlearn.open.ac.uk
    This opens a page titled Learning Space
    Scoll down in Topics to Science.
    Then scroll down in this to, Evolution Through Natural selection (S103_7)(this is on page 1)
    Then click to page 4. Scroll to, Evolution:Artificial and Domestication(S366_7)

Enjoy, Derek
    Carole.T

Post  Carole.T on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:33 pm

Hi Olwen,

The reference resources I used for Module 3 were as follows,

(Can't recall where I got hold of some - probably the local library which was a large London Borough 'Central' library, not a small village 'one room' set up as the one where we live now!)

David Le Vay - Human Anatomy & Physiology (1996)

R Ornstein & R F Thompson - The Amazing Brain (1985)

P J Mill - Comparative Neurobiology (1982)

S Rose - From Brain to Consciousness (1998)

T Turner - Veterinary Notes for Dog Owners (1990)

Scott & Fuller - Genetics (1965)

James O'Heare - Canine Neuropsychology (2001)

Bonnie V Beaver - Canine Behaviour: A Guide for Veterinarians (1999)

V Strong - The Dog's Dinner (1999)

I did use a few websites, but off hand even if I gave you the links, I cannot recall without going through the module, which parts they were used for!

I hope this helps. Lance always comes up with some great reference resources, thanks Lance!

Regards

Carole
    olwen

Post  olwen on Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:05 am

Thanks Carole, I have 3 or 4 of those already so hopefully I'll be well on the way.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:41 am