Canine Behaviour

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion relating to advanced courses on canine behaviour modification

2 posters

Teenage Girls

Admin
    Admin

Teenage Girls Empty Teenage Girls

Post  Admin Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:50 am

Anyone had problems with teenage girls! I have just finished a fun and games course. One of the handlers was a teenage girl who I could quite easily have slapped! Have one of my own so know the problems! The dog (doberman bitch) was constantly on the end of the lead being yanked about. I even put a stop pull harness on her to try to stop this but girl "didn't like it". The poor dog is like cat on hot bricks. No matter what I said, I even took the dog off her at one class the girl did the opposite.

Mum has been in touch asking if they can do some more. I have suggested that Mum comes on her own as she handles the dog a lot better although her daughter made it quite clear in a loud voice at every class that "Mum is useless with dogs!". Am awaiting the outcome of my suggestion with interest
    Chris

Teenage Girls Empty Re: Teenage Girls

Post  Chris Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:36 pm

Sounds like this particular teenager could use a one-to-one so that you can spell out to her what's going on Chris.

With difficult clients, I've usually found it better to take the dog myself for the first half of the session so that the dog has half a chance of knowing what's being asked of it which makes the 'handing over' on an exercise by exercise basis so much easier as at least half of the team has an idea of what to do
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:48 am

I've done that Chris. The dog was so hyped up and the girl was shouting at me "she doesn't like you!" to which I responded, well she'll have to get used to me! She did calm down and followed my guidance. The dog is much better with Mum. Girl is about 16/17 and a right madam, makes mine look like an angel!

Unfortunately, I can't handle the dog at the moment with my shoulder. Hopefully, if they come to do another course it will be mum on her own and I will be fit again and able to handle if necessary.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:47 am